Topic: Groups

I am in the process of setting up 'recording groups' based on local sites (i would have preferred to just use reports based on site boundaries (e.g. a location_id) but appear to lack the necessary permission to upload boundaries to the warehouse).

In any case the current method works fine, i draw a freehand boundary then set the group settings as otherwise required.

My query is that i would like to see records from all sources pulled back in the group summary report. I understand that this should be possible by not checking any source options in the filter. However, general iRecord records are not being pulled back. I would like them to be so recorders can use either our site or iRecord seamlessly. Is it possible to pull iRecord records down in a group report?

On a related note, is it possible to limit group summary records by resolution? The flip side of above is that records from some other surveys are being included and they have very broad grid references. Ideally i'd like to exclude anything above Monad, to keep the report localised and relevant.

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Groups

Hi

I've never done anything with groups so may not be able to help much.
However, the principle of reports should be the same.
If your website wants to show records from the iRecord website then you must have a sharing agreement with iRecord, that agreement must allow you to report on records from iRecord and the report must include code to bring in the shared records.

Hmmm... I don't suppose groups are another way of boxing up records are they so that you only get back records submitted by your group to your group?

For example, if two people submitted identical records via your website and one recorder was in the group and one was not, would both records appear in the group summary?

Honestly, I think I should shut up as I know nothing. Do you know the name/location of the report file you are using? If I take a look at that maybe I could say something more intelligent.

Jim Bacon

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. The website agreements are set, non-group forms work fine so i don't think that is the problem.

The group forms have a set of options for limiting what records are included but i have left the options to filter based only on members or only on particular website surveys. See attached 'source' filter settings which lists a number of other websites and surveys i could call data from (blank for all) no iRecord surveys are listed.

The form with the settings appears to be iform/client_helpers/prebuilt_forms/group_edit.php but you have already been a help. Perhaps what i need to do is compare how the group form is calling data from the warehouse with how the non group forms are doing it. There has to be some kind of filter which is excluding the the iRecord surveys.

Post's attachments

settings.jpg 212.12 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi

Well, here is a funny thing. It looks to me like the configuration of the sharing agreement for iRecord does not include it providing the data submitted directly to it for others to use. That would explain why it is not listed in the filters and why you are not getting any data from it. I find that highly surprising but need to confirm any change with David Roy, head of BRC. Hope to get back to you soon.

Jim Bacon.

That'll explain it. A performance thing perhaps?
Thanks again for looking into this.

Hi Jim, just following this up. Was there any explanation given for why iRecord specific data-sets are not being shared for others to use as above? (i am particularly interested in 'general' and the app as that's what we have been directing local recorders towards, i appreciate that others may be limited by the responsible NSS).

I've had no response yet. I'll ask again.
Jim Bacon.

Hi Ben

I've done a bit of studying and I think I now understand the technical implementation of the sharing system better than I did. See http://indicia-docs.readthedocs.io/en/l … ments.html

The reason the set up with iRecord is one way is because if you, or any other contributor, or any future contributor, were configured to receive data then you would be receiving not simply from iRecord but from all the other contributors. Conversely, your records might go to anyone else who joined in. That set up would not match the agreement that I think we are trying to implement.

It is within scope that you should be able to report on records that come directly to iRecord. The way that this can be achieved is to set up a second agreement that works in the opposite direction. That might take a little trialling to get it working so I'd like to take that off line and figure it out over email with you. We can report back here when we have some results.

Having said all of that, I am now confused by your screenshot of the available sources for your group reporting. This includes all sorts of websites with whom I don't think you have a sharing agreement. I don't know if this represents a flaw in my understanding or a bug in the code. I'll have to make further enquiries.

Jim Bacon.