Topic: GBIF IPT (Integrated Publishing Toolkit) and Darwin Core templates

Has anyone used the IPT?
Info here: www.gbif.org/ipt

There are also very useful templates for using Darwin Core attributes here: http://www.gbif.org/newsroom/news/new-darwin-core-spreadsheet-templates

I will use their templates with our next lot of Atlas exports, but I'm interested in the whole IPT thing, esp. the use of Ecological Metadata Language.

As a LERC manager I'm quite keen to use a common international format standard, esp. as we sometimes need to prove compliance with GEMINI. I'd be interested to hear anything about the relationship of all this to the NBN Atlas, which doesn't go into as much detail about Darwin Core, metadata standards etc. on the site.

ta

Linda

Re: GBIF IPT (Integrated Publishing Toolkit) and Darwin Core templates

Hi Linda

Thanks for your post and apologies for the delay in responding. 

We are still in the process of developing the forms etc for the Darwin Core format but in the meantime you can send your data in to data@nbnatlas.org as you would have for the Gateway so the text file / csv and meta data form.  

We are currently storing the new datasets until we are able to upload these and we hope to be able to start this process soon.

We are currently preparing a new upload template and waiting to have it signed off by our developer. We are hoping to have the final version completed very soon.

https://nbnatlas.org/help/provide-data-nbn-atlas/

Hi Linda,

In addition to Sarah's message:

You'd be very welcome to use the GBIF Darwin Core template until we get our guidance document out. The terms for Darwin Core are the same, so any order or combination of these terms are fine to use. In an ideal world, we would like the data supplied as a Darwin Core Archive, and the metadata as EML (Ecological Metadata Language) but we are aware that not all of our data partners will have the provision to supply their data in this way. For this reason, we will be able to accept both the occurrence records and the metadata as CSV, which we will then convert to the correct formats. However, if you are able to produce Darwin Core Archives and EML documents, then you'd be very welcome to supply your datasets to us in this way.

Ella

Thanks Sarah & Ella.
I will investigate the EML and how best to use Darwin Core. As we're uploaded new/updated datasets this is a good opportunity to experiment.

Linda