Topic: Querying records

Hi - at the NFBR conference last week, someone (Jo I think) said it was possible to raise a query about a record via the NBN Atlas interface. I've just had a quick look at this, for example for some of the English Crested Tit records, to see how it would work. I can't see how to raise the query - what am I missing? Feeling blind!

Thanks

Andy

Re: Querying records

I've seen that if you go to the occurrence record there is a 'Contact Curator' button at top left.
E.g. https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … db426ad276

On clicking the button it says:

For more details and to report issues about this record, please contact a person mentioned below.
Peter Lack *
null
E: email this contact

Not sure why it says 'null'

It is highly obscure but, if you click on 'email this contact' and you have a mail client that will respond, then a new message is started.

Jim Bacon.

3 (edited by TeresaF 09-05-2017 08:50:33)

I think this is due to the difficulties of navigating the atlas as much as anything (depending on where you come from, clicking on something with the same or similar name can get you somewhere quite different, which is confusing) but I did just manage it...
1. Search for Crested Tit
2. Click on "view map" under the occurrences record map (even though you are already looking at a map ;))
3. Click on a record square (e.g. the one in Suffolk)
4. Click on "View Records"
Here comes the most confusing bit... this zooms you into the record, but if you look above the map that shows you can click on the records tab.
5. Now click on "view record" in this tab (NB record is singular this time!)
6. That takes you to the occurrence record page https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … 5c4059a8b8
7. Top left it says Contact Curator.
8. The email bit doesn't seem to be working but at least you have a name and an organisation and you could go and do the rest outside the Atlas!(Edit just seen Jim's post - clicking on where it says email does indeed work, but needs a redesign to make it more obvious please.)

I kept getting stuck at step 4 and clicking on the map to View records which takes you back to the same page/map tab. I can understand why (there might be more than one record at the grid square) but I think "View Records" should default to the records view not the map view to make getting info more intuitive.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Thanks Jim/Teresa - it was the 'contact curator' bit that I was being blind over!

The name and contact details of the dataset curator are out of date and should be updated to me, please!