Topic: Wildlife Trusts data?

Hi. Does anyone know if Wildlife Trusts datasets have transferred across to the new system yet? I'm looking but not finding.

Re: Wildlife Trusts data?

Hi,

You can see the full list of data partners at this link: https://registry.nbnatlas.org/ You will see that there are some individual Wildlife Trusts and the Wildlife Trusts listed.  If you click on their name, you will then see under "Resources" the datasets that are available on the NBN Atlas.

Regards,
Mandy

3 (edited by dgreves 10-04-2017 10:39:10)

Thanks Mandy. Is there no global Wildlife Trusts policy on data sharing with the NBN? As a voluntary recorder I would like to make sure that my records are made accessible to the NBN. Do I need to lobby individual Trusts to make this happen?

Also, is it possible to compare datasets present before and after migration to NBN Atlas? Ideally I would like to make sure that I'm comparing like with like, and if not to make allowance for that.

Hi,

I am not aware that there is a global WT policy, so it is very much down to the individual Trusts regarding the data they share. 
It is great that you want to share your records through the NBN Atlas, so thank you in advance!  I'm not sure where you are based, but there may be other options for sharing your data with us.  If you want to get in touch with me directly feel free to email m.henshall@nbn.org.uk

We don't have anything publicly available for comparing the datasets, but I will see if there is a way that we could do so.  I'll get back to you.
Kind regards,
Mandy

Failing broader Wildlife Trust engagement with the NBN how do I liberate my records from their database I wonder? :-)

dgreves wrote:

Failing broader Wildlife Trust engagement with the NBN how do I liberate my records from their database I wonder? :-)

You retain intellectual property over your records, so you should just need to ask them for a copy and then you can pass them on to whoever you like. That assumes they are in digital form etc.

Note that record flow isn't always obvious. About a third of local environmental records centres (LERC) are hosted by wildlife trusts, and most of the rest will be working with the appropriate wildlife trust to a greater or lesser degree, so you may find your records have been shared with the NBN via an LERC and so won't necessarily be branded as a "wildlife trust" dataset but under an LERC banner. Some records may even go more circuitously via county recorders and end up in national scheme datasets. Therefore the best way to tell is to do it backwards and search the NBN atlas for some species and places you know you have recorded at, and see if anything that looks familiar is returned, and then see what dataset it is in.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

The Wildlife Trusts are almost invariably partners with the Local Environmental Records Centres. Use the ALERC website to home in on the area you have an interest in then check the website of that LERC. They usually list their partners. If they don't list their local WT then enquire of the LERC as to the situation.

Thanks. Unfortunately my records (Surrey) appear to have vanished from the system.