Re: v6.13 Server Installation

Hi all,

I've just upgraded from v6.10 to v6.13 without any apparent errors directly on a Windows 2003R2 server with full SQL Server 2005. However, on invoking the upgraded install on the server, MS-Visual Studio returns "An unhandled win32 exception occured in RecorderApp.exe [xxxx]" (where xxxx = a random 4-digit number) and hangs. Re-installing over-the-top doesn't solve the problem.

Invoking the server-upgraded v6.13 on a Windows XP SP3 desktop seems fine.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Best wishes
Les.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Hi Les

Have you actually run the Workstation Setup from the server? If you install Recorder onto a Network, the default behaviour is for the file server to hold the installation files only. This means it does not have all the required client libraries installed onto it which Recorder needs to run. Unless you run the WorkstationSetup.exe directly on the server first, you won't be able to run Recorder on the server. Normally I would say you should not use your file server to run Recorder on so that it can use it's RAM for handling files rather than applications.

Hope that answers your question?

Kind Regards

John

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John, thanks for coming back to me...

When I installed v6.10 server, I also installed the workstation portion on the server and this worked well; I use the server to do my data imports keeping my own desktop free plus it crunches the data far quicker!

The server upgrade to v6.13 was uneventful, I just can't invoke v6.13 from the server as a workstation - the exception error occurs before the login dialogue appears. I restored from tape the original v6.10 server directory (only) and v6.10 worked fine as a workstation on the server.

Notwithstanding this, I ran v6.13 from my desktop post-upgrade and without any workstation upgrade quite happily so I presume from this alone I don't need to run the Worstation setup again on the server.

I hope this gives you a better idea of my setup.

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme