Topic: Uploads/Pre-verified data

Just looking for some advice on how is best to approach the sharing of pre-verified data through the Indicia/iRecord system.

A local verifier has asked if we can upload a bulk of data he has verified 'offline' so that it is available and shared via the Indicia system. He also verifies data via iRecord but having already checked them would rather not have to do them all again!

I have the facility to upload spreadsheets of data via the Merseyside BioBank website but i am not certain that i can mark them as already being verified.

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Uploads/Pre-verified data

I think there is a good chance that you can. Treat the following as a quick hint rather than a solid answer as I haven't tested what I am about to write. I suggest you try it out with a very small test file of one or two records and put yourself in training mode as well.

I would add three columns to the spreadsheet: 'record status', 'verified by' and 'verified on'. Record status is then set to 'V' for each record. 'verified by' I think wants to be the Indicia username of the verifier which may be non-obvious and may need searching for at http://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/index.php/user. 'verified on' is the date of verification. That might need to be in the form 2017-04-03, which is the format the warehouse uses. I'm not sure how fussy the import is.

You may know more than I do about date and name formats from your previous experience of uploading records. Also, if you are using the more detailed levels of verification like 'assumed correct' then there would be a further column to add I believe. Anyhow, if you find you can map these three fields on to similarly named occurrence fields during import then we could be on to a winner.

Sorry for being so sketchy but I thought a quick suggestion now might be more help than a something more detailed at some indeterminate future date.

Jim Bacon.

Hi Jim, that's great thank you. I'll be sure to test it on a small number!

I recall i previously had difficulty matching names on the spreadsheet to those on the warehouse, would it be safer (possible?) to use the user id instead?

Not sure about the answer to that.  I was just remembering some help I was offering someone else recently and I thought I saw the upload was trying to be helpful by looking up names for you so that you didn't have to use an ID. Fortunately we just have the one verifier so, if we can get it going in a test, we're sorted for the rest of the upload.

Jim Bacon.

PS This post has appeared in the wrong section of the forum. It wants to be in the Indicia section, not the Atlas. Any forum admins able to move it?

The importer known as Occurrence Importer [in drupal] asks if the data is verified on the first page after loading the file.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Thanks Tony, i did a bit of a test run with the importer and saw the status page (looks like i need to split all the recorder names from a single to double field).

Do you know if i set records to verified during the import with it still generate notifications and send them to the verifier? He was quite adamant that he didn't want a massive batch of notifications for records he'd already checked!

Also, do the recorder names match to existing users (where they exist?

7 (edited by Jim Bacon 25-04-2017 11:02:41)

I've not used the Occurrence Importer having only imported through the warehouse importer. Martin Harvey is quite knowledgeable about the iRecord  import so I'll see if he is able to add any more advice.

A brief thought on matching recorder names... I imagine it is unlikely as they are non-unique.

Jim Bacon.

Hi Ben, I'm on the edge of my technical knowledge here, so please treat all this with a suitable high degree of scepticism!

Imported text-string recorder names are not automatically matched to existing recorder names, I imagine for the reasons of non-uniqueness as Jim suggests.

The records will be seen as being 'owned' by whichever account is used to import them, i.e. if you import records from another recorder into your account you will have editing rights over them, and they will get included in any displays of your "My records" and the totals for number of species you've recorded etc.

It is possible to import records into someone else's user account if you need to, by importing their username (from the warehouse) into "sample:created_by" and "occurrence:created_by".

It *might* be possible to import user IDs for the Recorder and Determiner but I'd have to seek advice from Jim or John van Breda before confirming that.

Martin Harvey
Biological Records Centre
CEH Wallingford

One way to do that might be to Masquerade as them on Drupal. Records should then be owned by them. I've still not successfully imported any data yet. I'm getting closer and have some more errors perhaps I will try to get you on the phone tomorrow and we can swap tales.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre