1 (edited by Darwyn Sumner 09-03-2017 21:23:30)

Topic: Literature searches

Just two mechanisms in the Atlas that I've spotted:
1. Biodiversity Heritage Library which as I understand it is a society which seeks out published journals and has no mechanism for publishers of existing journals to submit.
2. Trove - an Australian newspaper search engine advertising Australian Women's Weekly

(P.S. Joyce says they do very good cook books)

Re: Literature searches

I've been looking for a solution to this kind of thing because as Dipterists Forum go to work on updating its website I've been asked to look into ways and means of making our journal more accessible to Open Access systems.
There are several ways to do this, many of them involve making payment (e.g. Microsoft Academic which is free to search but costs to upload)
The only system that is free from both directions is Google Scholar
For publishers: the system is outlined at https://scholar.google.co.uk/intl/en/sc … usion.html, it provides guidance to publishing individual articles from your journal onto your website - Google's search engines will do the rest. Take this up with your webmasters. So when you put together your journal for posting on your society's website you'll have to separate out the major articles and post them separately. If you don't do that, and just post your entire journal then the engine won't find them. To do a full journal it looks like you might have to pay some store to split it up for you.
For Atlas Literature search: Implement Google Scholar https://scholar.google.co.uk/ and Microsoft Academic http://academic.research.microsoft.com/ (pay to upload). You can test both of these systems with respect to any taxon searches you do in the Atlas, both should perform very much better and, in the case of Google Scholar, include articles that our community publish. Both have enormous databases of articles.
Mendeley Groups should be mentioned on the same page, see my previous posts (it's very good for bees). It only needs one enthusiast to start bunging references up there.

It sounds like the BHL is exactly what you want? They will, with permission, scan existing journals and make them available on the website under a CC-BY-NC-SA licence. All without any cost to the publisher I believe.

[What I don't know is if they will take e-only publications (but I can't see why not).]

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

That's exactly what I was saying in my opening message. BHL is exactly what we don't want.
I searched BHL for a Family and got 3 returns
I searched Microsoft Academic and got 56 returns
I searched Google Scholar and got 1.450 returns

No contest.

If you found a means on BHL to upload journals do let me know - as I say I couldn't find it.

I searched Trove and found a great recipe for Burritos with Eggs and Pumpkin Seed Sauce in their Easy Mexican Style cookery book.

5 (edited by charliebarnes 10-03-2017 14:33:38)

The Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL) .... digitize the legacy literature of biodiversity held in their collections and to make that literature available for open access

The key word is legacy - but the reason for this is that most content publishers don't want to publish their latest $2000/year journal for free. What you deem legacy is up to you AFAIK.

BHL accepts electronic content, either already-digitized or born-digital, from U.S. based organizations through the Expanding Access to Biodiversity Literature grant project. Non-US based organizations are still encouraged to contribute electronic content, however our resources for metadata processing and content integration are limited at this time.

Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic are for the most part just indexers and crucially they include non-free content. BHL actually scans documents and hosts content [well, Archive.org does] and it doesn't not include non-free content - hence the difference in search results. For example, the Ent Record up to 2006 is available via the BHL: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibl … 8#/summary. If Ent Record wanted to they could provide every issue up to the current one to BHL. Could the Dipterists Forum not follow this example?

With regard to the Atlas it's worth noting that

Biodiversity Heritage Library uses taxonomic intelligence tools, including Global Names Recognition and Discovery (GNRD) developed by Global Names Architecture, to locate, verify, and record scientific names located within the text of each digitized page.

Neither Google Scholar nor Microsoft Academic do this AFAIK.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

The worrying phrase in there is the "however" and the indication that they've got limited resources. It's a membership-run organisation comprising a number of libraries (mainly US) and presumably any submissions would have to be vetted. Not a good time to be placing any reliance on funding (read this week's New Scientist.)
Google Scholar reckons to have bots searching for usable pdfs on the publications page of a website - no submissions or effort there beyond turning articles from journals into separate pdfs.
As regards Atlas the objective under "Literature" is surely to provide a guide to literature regardless of Open Access, some hits is better than none.
An option there would surely be to incorporate several search engines (and lose the recipes one.)

Just a quick question, as I'm not an expert on this but ... does Google Scholar include all the material stored in BHL? BHL seems to be *the* standard facility for lodging biodiversity related journals - it isn't a search engine in its own right but if Google Scholar will pick up things in BHL then it would seem logical to use BHL to store the documents?

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

I suspect none of us are experts.
I'm looking at it from both ends, ways to ensure stuff gets uploaded and ways to search the literature.
For the latter it seems to make sense to be able to access systems which have the most comprehensive list of literature as in anyone using the Atlas - so that suggests the use of multiple systems (sorry Chris, I know NHM are BHL signatories but you surely don't stock and upload everything or even have the rights to do so)
For the former I'm looking for the most straightforward way of doing it. The choice seems either to go cap-wringing to cash-strapped organisations and make multiple submissions and applications or simply configure a website, upload them piecemeal, and wait for the Google Cylons to find them.

I might be oversimplifying, have I got the gist?
Maybe there's someone out there in NBN-land who has more experience in implementing both systems - there seem a lot who know just BHL. Google do know everything, they've probably analysed this message before I've even finished typ..........

I am not sure whether this well help at all or whether it is relevant.

I needed a place to store all my literature references for the biota of the Outer Hebrides in the hope that one day someone might be able to extract historical records or just find the information useful (http://www.ohbrbiblio.org.uk/).
So I put together an on-line bibliography.
It is very simple, but has a search facility and includes links to papers that are available on-line either as a free download or as an abstract.
It is a work in-progress, but Google is picking up the references.

If you'd like more information, please get in touch I'll give you the details.

Christine

Great resource Chris.
Back to the topic of the Atlas mechanisms though:
Check out Fauna Europaea and the links they provide after you've located a taxon.
(http://fauna-eu.org/cdm_dataportal/taxo … 40ace96dff)

1. Search Google images
2. Search GBIF
3. Search Google scholar
4. Search NCBI (for molecular researchers, a bit obscure but more relevant than Australian recipes)
5. Go to IUCN red list
6. Search EoL

Atlas should be at least as good as this

Hi Darwyn,
I've not looked at the Fauna Europaea site for a long time. It is impressive: it is easy to use and delivers the required information. The NBN Atlas developers might be advised to look and learn.

Christine