Topic: Duplicated abundance qualifier

Hi everyone - wondering if someone might be able to help me with an issue please.

We've recently identified that there are two 'Present' abundance qualifiers on our system: one is simply 'Present' and the other 'Present ' (with a space)/'Present(2)'. We're not sure when or why/how this has happened, but as the two qualifiers look identical data has been entered under both without recorders realising. I'm unsure how many records this has affected overall, but it is causing real issues with reports as observations under 'Present(2)' are being missed in the output by those who don't realise that there's another abundance qualifier they should include.

Is there any way that we can identify all those records under 'Present(2)' and get them changed to 'Present'? Also is there a way to remove the the qualifier option of a second Present from our system to stop this happening again in future?

Thanks very much in advance,

Chloe

Re: Duplicated abundance qualifier

You can use the Merge Data Items dialog (under Tools -> Database Tools).

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly Charlie.

So just to clarify, Merge Data Items will convert all records qualified as 'Present(2)' into records qualified as 'Present'? Then the option of Present(2) will be deleted? Apologies for this - Merge Data Items isn't a tool I've used before so I just want to check before I go ahead with the action so as not to delete any records.

Thanks again,

Chloe

Yes that's correct - the wording is a little convoluted. The item ('Present(2)' in your case) you drag into the left box (the source) will be replaced with the item ('Present') you drag into the right box (the destination). The item in the left box will then be deleted.

The tool searches for all places in the database that the source item is referenced and replaces it with the destination item.

It has the potential to be a destructive tool so it's worth double checking this is what you want and making sure you drag the items into the right boxes (although in your case with measurement qualifiers there is little additional information - unlike say for individuals).

Any doubts- backup before hand.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

That's excellent, sounds like what we need to sort this. Thanks very much again for the help - will do a back-up and try it out.