Topic: Problem with import

I have just tried to do an import to Recorder, not too big (c4,700 rec) and on pressing the final GO it crashed and the error was string or binary will be truncated, but no indication of which field is causing the problem!

The three obvious are:
Observers: max length is 77 chars
Location Name: max length is 56 characters
Abundance: max length is 66 chars

Firstly, is any of these too long for the import? - if these are OK what other potential fields can cause this error?
Secondly, why didn't it check this BEFORE actually starting the import process, it should be part of the initial validation

Craig

Post's attachments

Error-73639041609837.txt 29.38 kb, 3 downloads since 2017-03-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

2 (edited by charliebarnes 02-03-2017 12:06:22)

Re: Problem with import

Length of abundance has cropped up before - are you using any particularly long qualifiers?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thank Charlie

Hmm? yes some are quite long, I'll look at shortening them

C

Craig Slawson

Well, I've reduced the size of all the abundance descriptors to no more than 11 characters ... and it was all a waste of time, still get the same error :(

Any other ideas?

Craig Slawson

Apart from removing a column from the import until it's successful (to narrow down the problem), no sorry!

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

well I've removed abundance, location name, location, weather, determination type and it still fails, so it looks like the error is on one of the required fields.

MIKE
this is very detailed recording and the may be many grid references (precise to 10m) attached to each site in the import, is it possible this is where the problem lies, the site lookup panel only shows 6 grid refs with a corrupted 7th line, I don't know how many are attached to each site, IS THERE A LIMIT?

Craig Slawson

I have been reduced to importing in batches, initially I isolated the problem to somewhere in a batch of 25 records, but on sub-dividing this batch they all went in without error! So no idea what was causing the problem, but all records have now imported without problem!

Craig

Craig Slawson