Topic: Email Configuration

We recently moved SEWBReCORD onto a new server, and since this time registration emails and password reminder emails are not being sent out. We are using BRC Warehouse 1, and as far as I can see, the email configuration is a Warehouse thing rather than an indicia instance thing. Is this correct? Is there another setting somewhere that I need to change?

The BIS indicia website 'WiReD' is also suffering from this problem, also hosted on the same server.

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Re: Email Configuration

I imagine you mean registrations and reminders for your Drupal site which are not the responsibility of the warehouse.

In the simplest form, you need to have a mail server available, know its credentials and configure PHP to connect to it in php.ini.

Jim Bacon

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the replay to Dave's question. I'll wade in as we have the same issue. We have an external mail server available. In all the other systems on the server there is some sort of environment variable to set the mail server.
Does nothing like this exist in Drupal? I'm reluctant to set it globally in the php.ini file.

Steve

=====================================================
Steve Goddard - IT Officer
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys & Brecon Beacons National Park
T: 01874 610881 - E: steve[at]b-i-s.org - W: www.b-i-s.org

The other technique I am aware of is to use the SMTP module, https://www.drupal.org/project/smtp

Jim Bacon.

I also recall that the settings.php file allows you to have custom values for PHP settings rather than setting them globally.

Jim Bacon.

6 (edited by SteveGoddard 21-02-2017 16:10:52)

Thanks Jim, that was very helpful.

I've added these lines to the end of settings.php:

//Set PHP smtp settings.
ini_set('SMTP', myserver.mydomain.com');
ini_set('smtp_port', '25');
ini_set('sendmail_from', 'donotreply@bis.org.uk');

Tested and working fine.

I did toy with putting a php.ini fine in the root of the site - but i'm concerned i'd delete it whenever I upgrade the Drupal core!

Thanks again,
Steve

=====================================================
Steve Goddard - IT Officer
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys & Brecon Beacons National Park
T: 01874 610881 - E: steve[at]b-i-s.org - W: www.b-i-s.org

Thanks both - that seems to have fixed it for us too.
Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk