Re: Converting eastings / northings into grid references

Does anyone know if there is a quick and easy way of converting eastings and northings in Excel into grid references?  And vice versa?

I am using Recorder 6.7 and am assuming that this can't be done in Recorder.

Thanks, Francesca

Hi Francesca,
I have uploaded a file (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploaded/SPATIAL.zip) which I wrote ages ago. The lat long cenoversion within it is not 100% accurate but the grid stuff ought to be fine. To use it you need to:
- unzip the file onto your local system
- go to tools add-ins and browse to where Spatial.xla is
- once installed when you click on function (fx) there will be a user defined category at the bottom of the category list
- there is a function in there (GB_ENtoGrid or something) that will do what you want
Best wishes
Steve

Hi Francesca,

There is a flaw in this Add in when converting from Easting (X) and Northing (Y) coordinates into GB Grid. What happens is if the coordinate ends in a 6 or higher number it will round up. So, for example, 433266 182577 becomes SU 3327 8258, rather than SU 3326 8257 which it should be. I have corrected this small error in the code and it now works correctly, merely removing the last figures as required.

I have uploaded an edited version of the Spatial.xla along with some instructions and examples of its use. The zip file also includes how to use it in Access.

The new edited version also allows for the creation of 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 figure grid references from x and y coordinates. They are named accordingly when you go insert the function (e.g. GB_ENtoGrid8fig).

Hope this helps anyone needing to do this function. I have found it invaluable. Thanks Steve and Andy.

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)