Topic: Dactylorhiza majalis/occidentalis/kerryensis

I think this is a Recorder 6 issue as the NBN Gateway appears correct.

I enter a record of Dactylorhiza majalis using the VASCULAR plants list. Dactylorhiza majalis is a synonym of Dactylorhiza occidentalis on the VASCULAR plants list.

According to the extra info tool, Dactylorhiza occidentalis has Recommended name of Dactylorhiza kerryensis on the Defra Crop Wild Relatives list. However, when I use the extra info tool on the observation I have just created I am told the Recommended name is Dactylorhiza majalis on the CELI higher plants list.

I believe D. kerryensis is the currently accepted name (and the NBN Gateway shows this).

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Dactylorhiza majalis/occidentalis/kerryensis

I have checked the original NHM dictionary before processing into R6 and the position appears to be as follows.

Dactylorhiza majalis is a valid name in the Dictionary (TVK NHMSYS0000457929) and does not point to Dactylorhiza occidentalis as far as NameServer is concerned, which is where it matters. The entry on the Vascular plants list doesn't change  this.  Dactylorhiza occidentalis does point to  Dactylorhiza kerryensi. This means that as far as R6 is concerned Dactylorhiza majalis and  Dactylorhiza occidentalis/Dactylorhiza kerryensi are separate species, so the Recommended TLI and the lists are different.

I  have asked Chris to take a look.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike - yes this seems to have been caused by a few stray mahalis names in the NameServer. Basically, all UK "majalis (Reichb.) P.Hunt & Summerh." are actually "majalis auct. non (Reichb.) P.Hunt & Summerh." which ="kerryensis (Wilmott) P.F. Hunt & Summerh." We don't normally edit names retrospectively, but it would reduce confusing if all "majalis" were edited to show that they are "auct." ... "majalis sensu strictu" is only found in mainland Europe. 

This has been fixed now :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Thanks both !!

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership