Topic: Recorder Hanging on Startup

Since the last upgrade I am finding it increasingly difficult to get Recorder to actually open. The splash screen appears, and then it just hangs. If I close the window and try to run it again, I (eventually) get the 'Recorder is already running on this machine' error. Ending the process in the task manager enables it to run again, but I still only get as far as the splash screen. I will reboot my pc to see if that 'fixes' the problem, but I never had this prior to the upgrading to 26.1 so I wonder what bug fix has caused this new bug?

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Re: Recorder Hanging on Startup

This is of concern. There was a minor change made in start up to fix an issue where there were no admin users, but this happens after start up not before. Is anyone else having a problem ?

Mike Weideli

Just to add, the problem is resolved by rebooting the pc, but this is the third time I have had to do this in the past week. That said, mine is the only pc that appears to be seeing this behaviour, so perhaps it is my machine rather than the upgrade that is causing the problem.

Dave Slade

Can you try running Recorderapp.exe directly from the folder . This will bypass the splash screen and may give some indication of what is going wrong.

Mike Weideli

No problems here- I have also found that Recorder not starting up (not getting to the login screen) tend to be issues with the SQL Server being very slow to respond.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

SQL Server was chugging away at the time, so perhaps that is all it is. I still don't recall having this problem until recently. Meanwhile, I will try running the exe file directly when I load Recorder tomorrow.

Dave

Dave Slade

Apologies for 'hijacking' your thread but as of today, I am getting the same problem! The splash screen appears and R6 hangs. Ending the process in task manager seems to work but the splash screen remains on the screen and I can't get rid of it without rebooting the machine after which the start-up problem remains. All was well yesterday but, coincidentally, we underwent Microsoft 'patching' updates yesterday and I wondered whether this could have caused the problem? Please could anyone suggest a way forward with this, either diagnostics- or solution-wise?

Many thanks,

Paul

Biological Records Officer
Rotherham MBC
Rotherham Biological Records Centre

Try running Recorderapp.exe directly  (see above).Also check that theSQl server instance is running. MS upgrades often stop the service. See R6 FAQ for more info on this.

Mike Weideli