Topic: losing valuable info in exports

Here is the scenario:

PersonA and PersonB both run Recorder and share their record via Rec2Rec export, so they both have identical datasets

PersonA redetermines a record in his copy as know incorrect and then exports to PersonB

However, the export routine does not export records failing validation, hence PersonB does not receive the amended verification - surely this is a serious bug in Recorder which means PersonB thinks they have a clone of PersonA's records, but the changed determination is not being exported!

PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: losing valuable info in exports

No, you are right - I've just tried to export a single obs verified=1 (failed/pending) record and the MDB contains one blank TAXON_OCCURRENCE table (i.e. no samples, events). Nothing else.

Ticking the "do not validate" box on the export window, the MDB contains the hierarchy but no taxon_occurrence or determination tables.

Using the NBN XML format, more data gets exports (looks like the hierachy again) but no taxon occurrences.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Exporting via a Recording Scheme will export records failing validation. Having said that I have never been comfortable with this as it is far from obvious. I personally think users should have the option to make the decision.

Mike Weideli

We have had the same problem but seem to have got round it by using export filters rather than the simpler method of exporting from a rucksack. Is that right?
Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

I think you are correct. It is any export through Export Filters whih includes records failing validations, not just those for Recording scheme.

Mike Weideli