Topic: Problems with Exporting to NBN

Hi,

Since re-installing Recorder 6 on a Windows 7 machine we've had problems with exporting using the NBN Exchange Format.

Our version of Recorder is 6.25.1.

At first I tried using v6.23 of the NBN Exchange Format AddIn but I keep getting the following error message when running the export:

"Export Failed Cancel and Try Again - Check Path and File Name. Make sure you have write permission on the Folder."

I checked my write permissions on the destination folder (which appeared to be fine) and I've tried saving in several different locations (both directly on the C:/ directory and in 'My Documents' folder

I've also tried running the filter with fewer records but nothing seems to make a difference.

I've also tried uninstalling the AddIn and replacing it with v6.22 but still receive the same message.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Andy

Biodiversity Information Officer
EcoRecord

Re: Problems with Exporting to NBN

Looking in the code, processing of Abundance happens just before the files are written, so something in Abundances may  be causing the problem, and giving a spurious message. Can you try with just one sample (one with no abundances if you have one) . If you highlight a sample and click on tools export data you shoudl be able to process just  just this one sample. I will look at changing the code to give some more info on this error.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

I've tried as you suggested selecting a small sample containing no abundance data but still get the error message.

EcoRecord

Thanks. I will see what i can do with the code to track this down.

Mike Weideli

It looks like the process is trying to write a log file to the R6 addin folder. Could you check in the addin folder if R6 to see if  there is a file export_log.txt. If there is can you tell me what is in in  it. If not the the problem may be that the person running the addin does not have permission on this folder. I don't think that it needs to write the file so if this turns out to be the problem I will change the addin to avoid the issue.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,
There doesn't seem to be any log files in this folder. 

However, I've now changed the security settings for the entire Recorder 6 folder and ran the export on a small sample data set and it seems to have worked (!)

I'll try with the proper export on Monday and let you know how it goes...

EcoRecord

Hi Mike,

I've now successfully run the export on the full database (phew!).  Thanks for your help!

EcoRecord

Hi Mike,

I constantly battle with this issue exporting larger surveys the NBN Exchange Addin v6.23 and I have granted Full Control over the Recorder 6 directory structure.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

I suspect it is because of the log file trying to write to the addin fokder. I will take this out. At the first opportunity. Many R6 probkems are with permissions.

Mike Weideli

Upgraded to the latest version of the Addin and ran it on my largest Survey. Failed after about 2 hours with the usual error. I can confirm the whole R6 directory structure is Full Control and there's no files flagged Read Only.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme