Topic: Using wildcards in name selection

One of my recorders was trying to enter a record for the micro moth Anania coronata, but could not find the species. In the past I had told her to use the (*) wildcard to find such things, as often then nomenclature on one system has not been updated. In this case the species is still down as Phlyctaenia coronata. However *coronata does not bring up this name for selection. Is there a problem with the look-up code somehow?
Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Re: Using wildcards in name selection

Hi
I've tried this on iRecord by way of a test. Seems there are a lot of * coronata around.
iRecord just returns the first twenty matches initially which does not include Phlyctaenia coronata. However, at the end of the list there is an option of 'More available...' Click that and you get all results including the one you want.
You can probably imagine why it would work like this. See if your site does the same.
Jim Bacon

PS I was tempted to suggest that anything so impossibly spelt as Phlyctaenia should be omitted as a matter of principle.

Re: Using wildcards in name selection

So it is! That 'more available...' line has caught me out before.

Since it has changed it's genus to Anania, the days of trying to remember the spelling of Phlyctaenia are hopefully numbered!

Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk