Topic: Person Attributes - Unavailable

In the warehouse I've set up a person attribute but am now stumped as there seems to be no way to use it. The Section option dropdown for the form editor does not allow People as a choice and the new attribute does not appear in the available list to insert. Is there a reason there is no option to add person attributes? Are person att redundant? Should I just ignore them?

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Re: Person Attributes - Unavailable

Hi

I can see that there is a Person Entry Form in the list of Drupal General Purpose Data Entry Forms which exploits person attributes. However, I have never had cause to use that form or to use person attributes. I guess no one has needed them badly enough to prompt greater development. There are also Drupal user fields as an alternative if the information has no purpose beyond your own website.

Can you tell us what the attribute was and how you envisaged using it? There might be an alternative way of achieving what you want.

Jim Bacon.

Yeah its just a tick box for those who want further information. It would be of no interest to anyone else.

I had no idea I could put 'other' fields onto an indica form.

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Hi

I wasn't suggesting putting a Drupal field on an Indicia form - not that it couldn't be done but it is not something currently supported.

You could use a Drupal user field assuming you are asking users to register. They could complete the tick box at registration and they could alter it in the future by editing their profile.

The Indicia Person Entry form might also allow something similar.  It's description is "A data entry form allowing people to be entered directly into the person table without needing a drupal account. An example use might be for people wishing to register interest in events without needing a formal account."

If you want the tick box on the recording form you could fudge it with an Indicia sample attribute, although it might be confusing to extract if someone is submitting many samples.

Another alternative would be to redirect after successfully entering an Indicia record to a Drupal form which would gather data to be stored in Drupal. With a bit of styling it might be seamless.

Alternatively, how do you feel about trying a bit of development yourself to allow you to achieve what you first thought? It might not be too hard to extend the existing form.

Jim Bacon.