Topic: How do I Bulk update recorder names in Recorder 6

I want to add a Recorder to 2,000 records which are all tagged with the same publication source. If this recorder is classed as unknown but I want to change the recorder name is there a way to do this without having to do a batch update. It is not a specific survey rather related to a publication/citation. Is there a away to do this quickly through the user interface, without having to go through 2000 individual records manually.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Harriet

Re: How do I Bulk update recorder names in Recorder 6

There is no way of doing this through the interface without going into each record. Even then it isn't easy to do, involving a number of operations on each one.  Is there a reason you don't want to use a Batch Update.

Mike Weideli

I was trying to avoid doing a batch update as this will involve going through some ICT procedures - but if you think this is the best option then I will have a look at it more closely. Did you have an example of how this would be done?

I would want to change a recorders name from Unknown to a specific recorder based on a citation rather than a specific survey. Is there some SQL which could be written for this?

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Harriet

I think it can be done simply  with a Batch Update.  Probably about half an hours work from what I can see. I am happy to have a go at it for you, but there would  be  a bit more information I would require. It requires just the one .xml file to be copied into the Batch Update folder of R6.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

I am Harriet's colleague picking up on this thread for her. We would like to take you up on your kind offer. What details would you require us to supply? Also is there the option to back out of the batch update process should it start/appear to go awry?

Thanks

Bryan

Three things .

1. Identifying the records to change. I assume they have a document allocated to them. The key for this would be the best things. If you open Data Entry/Documents and find the document the key can be obtained  by clicking on the Meta Data Icon (Lower Case i in a circle)
2. The key for the individual where you want the document assigned. Found from Data Entry/Names and Addresses.
3. Do you want the Determiner changed ?

If the Batch Update fails the transaction will be rolled back automatically.  You should take a database backup before running the Batch Update just in case it runs, but doesn't do what you expect.

Mike Weideli