Topic: Notifications?

We seem to have stopped getting Notifications on SEWBReCORD, either automated through Record Cleaner rules or from manual verification. Is this something that I've inadvertently turned off? Or is there something else happening?

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Re: Notifications?

Thanks for the message, Dave.
It looks like a fault at our end.
I'll investigate and get back to you.

Jim Bacon.

The scheduled tasks are now running again.
A bug introduced in our code allowed a record to gain an invalid record status which another section of code was not prepared to tolerate.
The scheduled tasks were breaking at the point where notifications were being emailed.
The backlog of emails appears to have been cleared.
Those emails may contain many notifications of the same event but normal service should now return.

Jim Bacon.

Thanks Jim - looks like it is sorted out our end.
Dave

Dave Slade

Notifications have disappeared again - is that something that has happened at your end or ours?
Dave

Dave Slade

Hi Dave,

I can see the Data Cleaner has a problem at our end which could well mean associated notifications are not being generated. We'll investigate and let you know when fixed.

Jim Bacon

Hi

The error in the Data Cleaner has been repaired. Let us know if you are still experiencing a problem.

Jim Bacon.

Record Cleaner notifications are certainly back. I'm not sure about the ones from real people - I think they may still be down.

Dave Slade

Hi

I've queried the database to get a list of notifications generated and have the following results
These are numbers of notifications by date, either side of the upgrade.
The types of notification are
A = automated record check
C = comment
M = milestone
S = species alert
T = trigger
V = verification
VT = verifier task
PT = pending record task

I'm not totally clear what they all are but I can see that things look similar now to what they were. You can see where the automated record checks were out of action.

-----------------------------------------------------------
|    Date    | Total |  A  |  C  |  M  |  S  |   V  |  VT |
| 2016-05-23 |  1586 | 407 |  54 |   8 | 139 |  813 |  53 |
| 2016-05-24 |  1721 | 284 |  43 |   3 |  63 | 1219 |  46 |
| 2016-05-25 |  2586 | 221 |  20 |   4 | 154 | 2104 |  40 |
| 2016-05-26 |  2383 |  12 |  30 |   3 |  65 | 2188 |  28 |
| 2016-05-27 |  1293 |   1 | 151 |   2 |  68 |  982 |  38 |
| 2016-05-28 |   483 |   2 |  15 |   4 |  48 |  340 |  28 |
| 2016-05-29 |   473 |   0 |  11 |   3 |  84 |  279 |  27 |
| 2016-05-30 |   860 |   0 |  41 |   4 |  57 |  680 |  28 |
| 2016-05-31 |   625 |   0 |  22 |   2 |  30 |  497 |  38 |
| 2016-06-01 |   951 | 156 |  29 |   1 |  23 |  690 |  37 |
| 2016-06-02 |   998 | 106 |  36 |   0 |  13 |  816 |  18 |

Are you able to give a specific example of a record where a notification is expected but has not been received?

Jim Bacon.

I just verified this record:
http://www.sewbrecord.org.uk/details/re … id=3235442
And masquerading as the recorder can see that there are no user-generated notifications. I believe that there should have been one stating that the record has been verified.

Dave Slade

Hi

Thanks, this is very helpful.
I can look in the database and see occurrence 3235442 was verified by you at 09:26:56.
The cache table was updated immediately.
The notifications are done in batches by a scheduled task and I can see a notification to the recorder of your verification was created at 09:31:09.

The scheduled tasks run every 15 minutes on our server so the delay can be as long as that for notifications to appear. If you look now, can you see the notification? If not, it may indicate that there is a fault in creating the list of notifications which we need to correct.

Jim Bacon

The notifications are still showign 'No information Available'.

Dave Slade

That's interesting! What can you tell me about the report you are using to show notifications on your site?

If I look at iRecord (and I'll try to see if I can replicate your problem there in a moment) and edit the notifications page I see it uses a Dynamic Report Explorer form with a User Interface Form Structure containing [notifications_centre.messages_grid].

Are you able to see if yours is similar?

Jim Bacon

Yes mine is the same

Dave Slade

Good. That helps a lot. I've tried on iRecord and I get notifications for both verifications and comments so I think we should be able to solve this.

Just before we get in to anything more tricky, there is a drop down to select a filter on notification types. Is this set to Show notifications for Anything?

Jim Bacon

16 (edited by DaveSlade 03-06-2016 11:10:46)

Sorry, I don't see that - where am I looking?

I do have an error (which i often just ignore):
Strict warning: Declaration of iform_dynamic_progressive_seasearch_survey::get_submission() should be compatible with iform_dynamic_sample_occurrence::get_submission($values, $args) in form_helper::prebuilt_form_picker() (line 64 of D:\Websites\sewbrec\drupal\sites\all\modules\iform\client_helpers\form_helper.php).

Dave Slade

In iRecord it is above the table of notifications, see attached screenshot.

You can ignore that error. A swift way to get rid of it would be to remove client_helpers\prebuilt_forms\dynamic_progressive_seasearch_survey.php which I would not imagine you are using.

Jim Bacon.

Post's attachments

notifications.JPG 49.84 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Nope, that's not visible on my version. Ok, so this could be to do with some of our modules being out-of-date in spite of previous attempts to update them. I'll be leaving the office soon and won't be back in for a couple of weeks, so I'll pick this up again when I get back.

Dave Slade

Jim, I'm back from my break and would like to have another go at getting to the bottom of this. I had thought I'd updated my iform modules to the latest versions, but I think I still have some issues, so are there any in particular that I should look at that might highlight where this specific issue comes from?

Dave Slade

Hi Dave,

Another check to make, before we do anything more arduous, is to have a look at the Report Settings you have. I am particularly interested in the Preset Parameter Values but any other settings in there are worth reporting.

Jim Bacon.

21 (edited by DaveSlade 23-06-2016 08:52:12)

The Preset Parameter Values (an indeed the other Report Settings) are blank, apart from Record Sharing Mode which is set to 'Reporting'.

Dave Slade

22 (edited by Jim Bacon 23-06-2016 09:57:39)

Good.
We've already established that you are using  a Dynamic Report Explorer form with a User Interface Form Structure containing [notifications_centre.messages_grid]. Can you tell me if, below that line, there is an @sourceType option.

There is a comment in the source code (client_helpers\prebuilt_forms\extensions\notifications_centre.php) that reads

Use option @sourceType=S,V to show specific source types on the grid, the "S,V" in this example can be replaced with any source_type letter comma separated list.
Removing the @sourceType option will display a filter drop-down that the user can select from.

Jim Bacon.

Nope, just:
[notifications_centre.user_messages_grid]
@default_edit_page_path=record/list-of-records
@view_record_page_path=details/record

And no drop-down... I'll check the source code in a sec.

Dave Slade

The function user_messages_grid looks like this:
  public static function user_messages_grid($auth, $args, $tabalias, $options, $path) {
    // set default to show comment and verification notifications
    $options = array_merge(array(
      'id' => 'user-notifications',
      'title' => 'user message notifications',
      'sourceType' => 'C,V,S,VT,AC',
      'allowReply' => true,
      'allowEditRecord' => true,
    ), $options);
    return self::messages_grid($auth, $args, $tabalias, $options, $path);
  }

/*
   * Use options @sourceType=S,V to show specific source types on the grid, the "S,V" in this example can be replaced with any source_type letter comma separated list.
   * Removing the @sourceType option will display a filter drop-down that the user can select from.
   */

Dave Slade

Ah, okay, you are using [notifications_centre.user_messages_grid], not [notifications_centre.messages_grid] which is why you don't have the drop-down filter.

With no @sourceType option in your Form Structure you should be displaying the default list of notifications which includes 'V' for verification.
The record 3235442, which we looked at previously, has an outstanding notification of type 'V' since you verified it.

This should be displayed to the recorder so, if you masquerade as them, you should see this notification. Can I just check this step with you. Are you switching to the identity of the recorder to check the notification is being displayed?

Jim Bacon.