Re: MapMate export problem

Hi all,

I'm looking into a problem at the moment with MapMate dataset exports.

With large dataset exports that include records with large comments strings (although I presume any size dataset may have the same problem), I'm finding MapMate truncates the comment string and appends the comment with a string of extended-ASCII and non-printable control characters which will fail during a Recorder 6 import. I've looked at the MapMate dataset from within MapMate and I find no problems.

To find these corrupt data in an Excel spreadsheet, I open up a new column to the left of the comments field, use the =LEN() Excel function to get the length of the adjacent comment string ('fill down' the formula to get the length of all records' comments) and sort this new field largest-to-smallest. Any corrupt data will show (if indeed the is a corruption) from the top of the sorted comments.

If anyone has R6 import failures (Access violations and/or "String or binary data will be truncated" errors) from a MapMate dataset, it may be worth looking at this to see if you have the same problem.

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme