Re: new dictionary update available

A revised update to the species dictionary is available through http://forums.nbn.org.uk/recorderWebsit … grades.htm. The latest version of the dictionary is now 0000000D (check the value in your settings table if you are not sure what dictionary version you are currently running. The latest patch includes a variety of minor changes across Nameserver, taxon names etca and also adds one new list - "JNCC collation of taxon designations" (which summarises the status of each species in the UK).
Steve

Just been checking this out - it's looking promising.

A few initial observations:

I can't search by common name; is this correct?

Chiroptera don't have any UK designations in the new list which is technically correct but, in practice, all bats are protected but below the level of Chiroptera in the hierarchy. I know this has been discussed before, but is anything being done to address this problem?

Could we have an example of how to use this new list in queries? Perhaps Mike could post something?

Great work overall though - this is a badly needed addition to Recorder.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

3 (edited by stevemcbill 13-05-2008 07:54:28)

Steve

Does that particular dictionary update include the Sawfly list which Charles Hussey was working on ?

I doubt it will include the aphid list I supplied as I know Charles was busy with teh sawflies and unlikely to get around to that in time.

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi Steve,

I am afraid that, in the end, the sawfly list didn't make it into the update. Unfortunately it turned out that a lot of the authorities needed checking to bring them into the required format and there just wasn't time.

Best wishes,

Charles Hussey

NBN Species Dictionary Project Manager (Retired!) smile

Charles

Thanks for the info.

I know this will seem very premature considering the last update was just 2 days ago but have you any feeling for when the next update may occur and whether it is likely that the Sawfly and Aphid lists (and even possibly the Galls) will be included ??

I sincerely hope it is within 6 months and not stretch out to another year !!

Cheers

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi

I've just noticed a small error in the dictionary that goes with R6.13.2.176. House Martin has been given the scientific name 'Delichon urbicum' when it should be 'Delichon urbica'.

I hope there isn't another thread somewhere for this kind of error reporting...

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian
This is one for the NHM. I have had a quick look and the Nameserver produced by them definitely points at "urbicum" and similarly on the BTO list held in the dictionary lists the name as this too. Similarly BTO use "urbicum" on their own site - eg. http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2006/wcrhouma.htm.
Are you sure it should be urbica?
Steve

Hi Steve

Humble apologies! I checked a few sources, but not the article from Ibis. The scientific name for House Martin has been changed and is 'Delichon urbicum'...

Apologies again, Ian

I have just looked at this JNCC list and there is nothing there in list or Hierarchy.

janet:(

Hi All
Where would I find the 'settings table' to confirm what version of the dictionaries we currently have?
Thanks in advance
David

[color=blue]David Angel[/color]
[color=blue]Data Officer[/color]
[color=blue]The Wildlife Information Centre[/color]

If you are running Recorder on MSDE it will be in C:\Program Files\Recorder 6\Database\NBNData.mdb if you are running on SQL Server etc you need SQL Server Enterprise Manager to get at the settings table.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn,
We are running on SQL Server. I found the MMC.exe file. Do I run this to find the settings table? Were is the settings table usually found?
Cheers
David

I'm not sure what the MMC.exe file is, until you know what its for I suggest that you don't run it. You need to get hold of enterprise manager - I believe this is known as Management Studio for SQL2000/05. This can be downloaded free of charge from the internet (just google it and get it from a trusted site). Once on your pc it will appear under Start Menu/Programs/Microsoft SQL Server. Open this and then navigate through the left hand pane - keep opening the options until you start to find folders (for Enterprise Manager it is as follows:) Local/Databases/NBNdata/Tables.

I hope this helps,
Lynn

Hi David,

As an alternative for finding out the contents of the settings table. If you are running a full version of SQL Server and have the SQL Server client tools installed (which it sounds like you have) then you should find a tool called SQL Query Analyser in the Start Menu (under Microsoft SQL Server). If you run this you will be asked to connect to the server. You will need to enter the details of the server which is running your Recorder database, and a login that has access rights to this server. As I'm not sure what your setup is, you may need to ask whoever administers the SQL Server for help to log in. I would recommend you use a login that has read-only rights, that way you will be able to view the data without any danger of changing it.
Then once you are logged in, make sure NBNData is selected in the drop down box in the toolbar and type the following:
SELECT * FROM Setting
Now press the F5 key to run the query and you should see the contents of the Setting table.

Let us know if you get stuck on any of this.

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]

Thanks Lynn and Simon
Simon - I don't have Microsoft SQL in the start menu (it is running in the task bar). Do you know what the .exe file for the Query Analyser is called? I thought I could search for it using explorer and then run it from there.
Cheers
D

This is where you download SQL Server Management Studio Express (this is the free version of the management tools Lynn was referring to) from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en

I've just installed the full, non-free version of SQL Server Management Studio on my PC and it appears in the Start menu (on Windows XP) in:

Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio

You don't mention which version of SQL Server you are running, but if it is prior to version 2005, it will be called "Enterprise Manager" instead of "SQL Server Management Studio", as Lynn mentioned.

Note that if your SQL Server is running on a server, as opposed to running on your desktop PC, then SQL Server Management Studio or Enterprise Manager will not automatically be installed on your desktop PC. You'll actually need to get the installation CDs and install the management tools manually, or download and install the free software mentioned above.

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Thanks Charles
I'll check that out tomorrow and let you know how I got on
David

Hi all

I finally got around to this morning.

I'm not 100% sure what version of SQL Server we are running. There is no entry for it in the start>all programs list. If I right-click on the icon in the task bar and select 'about', the info box that pops up says it's version 8.00.760. A couple of websites say that number refers to SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 3. However, I have the same version (8.00.760)  running on a laptop, which does have SQL Server 2005 in the start>all programs list. Confusing.
I've installed SQL Server Management Express that came with our copy of Recorder (I'm hoping it works with our version of SQL). I've looked in the databases folder on the left hand pane of the management program but there is no reference to the NBNdata.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Surely there must be a simpler way to find out what dictionary version we have running? Could it not be displayed on the Welcome page when Recorder starts up or shown when you click on about?

David

Hi david,

Yes - making the dictionary version appear on the summary page in recorder is a planned change. I'm not sure what you meant when you said that you have installed SQL Server Management express which came with recorder - this is not on the CD. You either have SQL Server already on your machine (which Recorder then uses when it installs) or you don't have it and it installs recorder against MSDE. If it does not appear in your programs start menu then it sounds like you have recorder installed against MSDE. In this case you can find NBNData.mdb with the settings table in your C drive/program files/recorder 6/database (roughly). Can you find it now?

Lynn

Thanks Lynn
Sorry, the SQL Server Management Express (SSME) came on a seperate CD.
I've just this minute managed to locate and open the settings table using SSME. I can also open it using MS Access.
The NBNData.mdb file was exactly where you said, just had trouble finding it via SSME.
Now that I've opened the settings table, I guess that "Dict Seq" refers to the dictionary version and that the data field should read "0000000F" for the most up-to-date dictionary?
Cheers again for you help,
David

Yes thats correct - if there is an F at the end then this is the most uptodate version.
You're welcome.
Lynn

Excellent

Lynn Heeley wrote:

Yes thats correct - if there is an F at the end then this is the most uptodate version.
You're welcome.
Lynn

I am a little confused here.  I have checked my settings and find version 0000000E installed.  I have just downloaded 0000000F.sql and run the upgrade program, which tells me no upgrade is required.  I am running v.6.13.3.182 under Vista.

Advice?

Murdo

Have you put the 0000000F.sql file into the correct folder - the 'scripts' folder of the dictionary upgrade V2 kit? If its in the wrong place it won't see it and it will think that you don't need an upgrade. Please check this for me, thanks.

Lynn

That has done it, Lynn.  Thanks - I am still new to R6, but learning fast!

M.