Topic: Record not showing in map tab on Verification 3 form

I am using the Verification / Verification 3 form, but on the Map tab of the Set status: panel I don't see the selected record. Is it significant that I see Buffer (m): set to 0? I have several Preset Base Layers selected and can switch the map between those, but the selected record does not show up.

How do I make it appear?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Re: Record not showing in map tab on Verification 3 form

Hi Chris

Edit your form and go to the Other Map Settings section.

There are several settings you need to configure in order to tell the form where to get the maps from and how to draw them.

Assuming you are using a warehouse hosted by the Biological Records Centre, the following settings may be a step in the right direction.

Show map of the currently selected records: check the box
Feature type for Indicia species layer: indicia:cache_occurrences
Filter method: External Key
Field to filter on: taxa_taxon_list_external_key

For info, iRecord provides a verification service and we make use of version 5 of the verification form which is the current recommended version. You might like to consider using that instead.

Jim Bacon.

Thanks. Merely checking 'Show map of the currently selected records'is sufficient to make the record show on the map, but it moves the map from a tab in the 'set status' pane to alongside the records grid and shows all records on the grid in blue with the selected one in red. How do I make the single selected record show in the map tab on Verification Form 3?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Hi Chris,

Uncheck 'Show map of the currently selected records' and the map will go back to being in the tabs.

It may not do exactly what you have in mind though as the developer may have had different requirements to meet.

Jim Bacon.

Yes, the map then goes back to the tab, but no records are plotted, not even the selected one. Was this the developers intention?

Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Hi Chris,

Are you using the BRC warehouse and have you configured the other three settings I mentioned?

Jim Bacon.

Yes, I am using the test BRC warehouse, and have set the other configuration options. I have now discovered that the selected record is shown with a red dot, but the map is not re-positioned to be centred on that location. Is that possible?

Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting

Hi Chris,

I've looked at this a bit more and I don't think we're seeing what you are wanting on the map (though, to answer your question, you could achieve centring and zooming by writing some JavaScript to call OpenLayers functions, setCentre and zoomToExtent, on the map).

The settings we are playing with show all records of the same species without highlighting the particular record selected. This won't help the verifier unless there is only a single example of the species in the grid. My impression is that the mechanism to show the selected record may not be working or our assumptions about what it should do are wrong. I found a similar conversation which was never properly resolved at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=22850#p22850

I don't think I can help you any further without making a thorough examination of the code to try to understand how it is supposed to work. Maybe someone else out there has got this working and can offer some advice.

For the time being, to show the selected record, it seems to me your best option is to check 'Show map of the currently selected records'.

Jim Bacon

Hi Chris

I alluded to the iRecord verification service above. I thought I should just elaborate on that in case you are unaware of it. Because you are using the BRC warehouse which iRecord uses, you can configure your use of the warehouse to allow records submitted through your website to be accessible via iRecord. There are a range of permissions which determine the extent of this sharing. If you share for verification then verification of your records can be performed via iRecord.

One immediate advantage of this is that you would not need to create or maintain a verification page in your website.

There are other consequences that may be considered advantages or disadvantages depending on your perspective and depending on how the permissions are set up. For example, there is scope for species experts who are not part of your current community to assist with verification of your records. Conversely there is scope for your verifiers to access records of interest that are not submitted via your website.

If this is of interest then we can discuss in more detail.
Jim Bacon.

I am aware of iRecord, and thanks for checking. I can ask, but I don't believe this is what my clients want.

Chris

Chris Dee
Garganey Consulting