Topic: Location hieracrchy

Dear NBN

I am a novice in Recorder 6. I have explored the location hierarchy, survey structure and the import wizard.  I had expected that in the location hierarchy a site would be related to the records of its sub-sites, but this does not seem to be the case. Is there a way to make this happen?  This seems important to me in planning the location hierarchy.

John

Re: Location hieracrchy

Hi

Not sure what you are loking at in relation to this query. In the Location Hierrachy window clicking on Related Data only shows the samples related to the one site selected. In the Report Wizard sub sites are included by default in any reports.  If you can explain a bit more about what you are using Recorder 6 for, I can give some advice on the use of the Location hierarchy. For general use I personally  would use the Location hierrachy sparingly, only for specific sites  where the boundary is clearly defined ( ie nature reserves etc.). In my opinion there is little point in allocating records to a Location unless this can be done consistently, and  that it is meaningful in reporting. Otherwise you might as well just use the Location Name and not the hierarchy. However if R6 is being used specifically to monitor sites then the Location hierarchy plays an important part. Again, however, there is no point in setting up sub sites unless the allocation of records is done consistently.

Mike Weideli

Re: Location hieracrchy

Dear Mike
Thank you. I think what you say about the Report which I have yet to fully explore, satisfies my point. That was what I was looking to do. I survey many sites but I am interested in records and reports at different levels: where precisely the record was taken, an 'estate' level location, and a 10km square level. I target a lot of my recording effort in relation to 10km squares.
John