Topic: Import Wizard enhancements

Having done some large imports of data from MapMate to R6 I'd like to suggest some enhancements that would help when importing large datasets, particularly data from MapMate, though I think some of these would be helpful for all imports:

Recorder/Determiner names

1. Allow only unmatched names to be shown/filtered (like showing only rows in error).  It would really help in situations when there are hundreds or thousands of names to only show names that do not match - i.e. allow users to filter the list to hide names that have been matched by the import wizard

2. Allow only names where multiple possible matches exist to be shown.  This would help to match these first before then selecting the import wizard to create new names for any remaining unmatched names.  A dialog box will appear listing which names are possible duplicates, but it will only show the first 10 or so names, so there is no way to identify the remaining possible duplicates.

3. Show a summary count of the number of names in the dataset and how many have been; (a) matched automatically by the import wizard; (b) matched based on previous imports; (c) unmatched; (d) where multiple possible names exist.

4. Allow names previously matched by the import wizard to be unmatched.  If you make a mistake and match a Recorder or Determined to the wrong name there is no way to undo this, and there doesn't seem to be any way to remove/edit items in the IW_Matched_Names table (apart from via SSMS).

Species

1. Allow only unmatched species to be shown.  As with the name matching above, it would really help in situations when there are hundreds or thousands of species to only show species that do not match - i.e. allow users to filter the list to hide species that have been matched by the import wizard

2. Allow only species where multiple possible matches exist to be shown.  This would help to match these first before then selecting to try a different dictionary for any remaining unmatched species.

3. Show a summary count of the number of species in the dataset and how many have been; (a) matched automatically by the import wizard; (b) matched based on previous imports; (c) unmatched; (d) where multiple possible species exist in the current dictionary.

Locations

1. Enable the import wizard to NOT attempt to match any location names or grid references.  When importing data from MapMate we didn't want to link the occurrences to any existing Locations in R6, but instead wanted to import the occurrences and store all the location names as Event Location Names.  However, currently the only way I can see to do this is to; (a) Rename all existing Locations to a temporary (and unmatchable) name so they won't match any locations in the import data; (b) Change all existing Location grid references to temporary (and unmatchable) values so they won't match any grid references in the import data; and (c) temporarily delete any existing entries in the IW_Matched_Locations so no imported location names are accidentally matched based on previous imports.

I don't know if there is any budget for any future R6 development but these changes would really help in the future.

Thanks
Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk