Re: Partially unsuccessful import with no error messages

Hi

I have been beavering away importing data for 2007 in order to prepare our bird report for that year. Most import files have been less than 1000 records. Today, I imported a file of 3704 records and the import appeared to go well.

However, I checked the Observations as I wished to see that some data for tetrads had imported as I wanted. Sadly, I found a range of errors, none of which had caused an error message.

- Data for at least one place so far, 'Penycae, E', has duplicate entries for each day that place had records.
- Data for at least one other place 'Wrexham, Gatewen' have been imported without dates and are listed at the top of my observations list with date as 'Unknown'.
- There are some locations that have only had some of the records from that date imported to the record with the date.

This is a complete pain in the backside, as it requires hours of work to sort out. So far I have been:

- deleting dated duplicates from R6.
- checking the data in R6 against the import file to delete from a new version of the import file those records that have been successfully  and correctly imported.
- editing the unknown date to the correct date, where all the records for that date are present (otherwise I delete the records with unknown date from R6).

Is this a known problem? Have others experienced it? How can it be avoided?

My first guess is that the number of records for each import file will need to be restricted, say to less than 1000. This is a minor inconvenience compared to what I am having to do, but is it really necessary? If there is a way to import from large files and avoid these errors I would love to know what to do.

This the first hiccup I have had with R6 for several months (hence my silence on the forum). Sorry to hear that Sarah is leaving and I send my best wishes and thanks for the help you have given in the past! Bon voyage!

I look forward to any tips.

Best wishes,  Ian

Hi

I'm having to answer myself again....

The problem with the import turned out to be date fields with time data included, such as     12/07/2007 19:50    etc. To correct this I found I had to:

- convert each date to serial number   (eg 32599.563)
- use the formula =INT(cell with date serial number)
- reformat the integer serial numbers to normal date format.

Does anyone know of a quicker way?

I had to delete over 3000 records to clean my database. Is there a way of doing a block delete of records? It really is a pain having to delete so many one record at a time. If R6 can import records in large numbers and not inform the user that the date is not in the correct format to be recognised, there ought to be an easier way to get rid of such records!

Order seems to be restored, at least for now.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian

Apologies - had printed out your post and intended to reply sooner than this - but have been very busy with testing a beta of the next version.

The problem with creating 'surplus' events and samples has been spotted by two other users - this wasn't raised as an official bug in time for the next version, but we are hoping has been fixed as part of the general development (and looks to be fixed in initial tests).

Agreed it is less than ideal that the import wizard doesn't flag date and time as an error - I'm not sure what the scope is for improving this but will enquire with Dorset Software.

There is a Delete Survey addin coming soon (where whole surveys can be deleted at once) - we have been working on this for a while but it is almost there. I'll post something on the forum as soon as it is available.

Best wishes,

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Hi Sarah

Thanks for this news, but is there a system going to be available for deleting several to many records from the same survey, without deleting the whole survey? Deleting a whole survey seems very drastic - do many people need to do that?

Cheers, Ian