1 (edited by Ed Hudspeth 06-03-2008 16:14:39)

Re: R6 Map Window - Error Code 6: Invalid File

When i click to open the map window, it pops up for a fraction of a second, and then disappears and i'm presented with an error:

"Error Code -6: Invalid File -"

And so i can't open the map window at all. Does any one have any idea how to resolve this problem?

Thanks
Ed

Update - The above occurs on two seperate Vista machines, whereas the XP machine that i have just installed this on doesn't produce this problem.

This problem occurs when the Object Sheet folder is not created at installation with versions of Windows that preceded Vista. I am not sure whether the same applies with Vista but the information that follows may help.

For the mapping in Recorder 6 to work the following things must be consistent:
·    The contents of the Map Files folder on the workstation and the Object Sheet folder on the server
·    The entries in the Base_Map, Computer-Map and MAP_SHEET tables in the database, and
·    The registry entries for the mapping components.

Also, the 4 SheetSource files must be in the Base Maps folder as these are needed to create new polygon layers. If not present they can be copied in from an installation CD.

For some unknown reason, occasionally the Object Sheet folder is not created when installing Recorder 6 – probably a permissions problem. If this happens it needs to be created manually and the entries relating to it in the database need to be removed, i.e. the Polygon layer in the MAP_SHEET table. If any other polygon entries were present (unlikely) they would also need to be removed. Using Map – Map Options in Recorder 6 to reset the maps should then get the mapping working. Note that you will need the relevant permission to create the Object Sheet folder and that this solution won’t work unless you have removed the entries in the database that refer to things that should be in the Object Sheet folder.

There is a useful write-up of how the mapping works towards the end of the latest version of the Network Installation Guide. This is on the v6.10.4 installation CDs but if you don’t have a copy because you have upgraded from v6.9.3 rather than doing a v6.10.4 installation, it can be found via the post on the NBN Forum by Sarah Shaw, 25/09/07, http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=2013#p2013.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

3 (edited by Ed Hudspeth 14-05-2009 10:48:51)

Hi,

The object file sheet folder is present on the R6 Server but is empty. What should the contents be?

This problem is now happening on all machines i install R6 on, including Vista and XP

Thanks
Ed

Hi,

Problem resolved: the issue was regarding the permissions for the users on the "Recorder 6 Server" folder.

Once i had reset all these to read/write it worked fine.

Thanks,
Ed