Topic: Downloading to Newer Computer

I am trying to get my Recorder 6 up and running on a newer computer (XP to Windows 7).

I have downloaded Recorder 6.17.2.251 and need to do the various R6 upgrades plus Dictionary upgrades.  Do I do these prior to downloading my existing data from my XP Recorder 6, or do I download the data first?

Re: Downloading to Newer Computer

Steps are as follows

1. Install SQL Server - make sure you install a version which has the Management Tools (see www.Recorder6.info).
2. Install Recorder 6 on the new machine (Version 6.17.2). Make sure it works.
3. Copy a back up file from the old machine to the new machine.
4. Use Management Tools to restore the backup file. There are instruction on this in
documentation on www.Recorder6.info
5. Run the Recorder 6 upgrade to version 6.22 (Not the dictionary upgrades)
6. Copy over your users files if you have any (Rucksack,Recording Cards, etc).
7. You should  now be up and running. Dictionary will be as it was on the old system.

If you intended to just move  the data by exporting and reimporting it, then this should only be done if you haven't exported your data to anyone else. Otherwise you will be creating duplicate records. If you do export and re import then install Recorder 6, as above. Do the upgrade to version 6.22 and then run the dictionary upgrades, before transferring the data.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

I was intending using Database Tools - Restore Database,  assuming this to be the correct way to download my existing data.

I imagined that I would need to do each upgrade in turn, your comment above suggest I do it in one i.e. straight from 6.17 to 6.22.  Please would you confirm which way. 

Peter

You may not get Restore Database in Recorder tools to work, but you can give it a try. It only works if the setup on the new machine uses identical folders.

You can go directly from 6.17.2 to 6.22 and your dictionary will be retained as it is, but  you may need to rebuild the Dictionary indexes.

Mike Weideli

There is presumably no folders in the new machine, it is a complete transfer from existing to an empty Recorder 6

The folders are created when you jnstall R6. If when installing R6 you make sure the drive and folder for the R6 install is the same current install you may be ok. Also copy the  backup into exactly the same fokder on the  new machine as is on the old one. Even so other factors are involved which may stop the R6 restore working. As long as you have Sql server management stuodio installed recovery from backup using these is not very complicated.

Mike Weideli

I'm looking to follow this process but only appear to have discs for 6.10.4 (i wasn't here for the original installation). We are running the latest version but i am assuming this is just from successive updates.

Is it possible to get hold of a 6.17.2 installation file?

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Go to www.Recorder6.info and look under Resellers. There you will find the downloads of the latest version which you can download as you have a  valid site id. You can either install 6.17.2  6.23.2, both should  install on Windows 7 Ok.  Depending which version you are currently on you may need to run the upgrade after you have attached the database.

Mike Weideli

Cheers Mike, i take it i should be able to get this from our existing version?

Depends what version of SQl server you are on. MSDE (Sql Server 2000) will not attach to SQl sever 2012 or 14.  Sql Server 2005 database will attach to SQl server 2008 and 2012 and not 2014 (based on intenet not experience).  With either SQL Server 2000 or Sql Server 2005 on a Windows 7 machine, I would install and use SQL Server 2008. Look on Recorder6.info at Windows 7 to find the recommended version.   You should  then be able to install  6.23.2.   After you have attached your original database then run the latest R6 upgrade.

Moving to a new machine and operating system in now getting a bit complicated, If anyone needs advice on this please give details of your current SQL version(if known), current version of R6 and the operating system of the new machine. I can then give some specific advice.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike we're currently running '08 and installing '08 on the new windows 7 machines so moving the database itself shouldn't be a problem. I was more concerned about installing the R6 download as we only have 6.10 discs and i'm not sure what our site id is. I thought i should be able to get it out of R6 itself?

Download 6.23 from the Web site.Check that R6 works.
Copy over the database from the old machine and attach it. Run the latest upgrade to 6.23.

Mike Weideli