Re: Problem with backing up Recorder 6

Hi

I've been using Rec6.10 for about a month as a stand-alone application on a PC. This PC is networked so I would like to change the back up location to a location on the network. When I tried to use the Database tool-"view or change back up location" I can only see the C drive. Is there a way of doing this? I've just spent c90 minutes scratching heads with one of my councils IT folk and there doesn't seem to be any problems of permissions etc.  Does this tool work?

Also a similar question with regard using the "backup database" tool. When this is selected the sandbar appears and checking in windows task manager it says Recorder is not responding. Does this tool work? I need reassurance!

So I suppose the question is how do I go about backing up my data? What files do I need to copy to ensure I have a backup. I think the help instructions say I can't do this?

Cheers

Mark Simmons
Perth Museum

Answering the second part of my own query - "backup database" does work inspite of what my IT support was telling me/guessing. Clearly they are impatient people.

So I presume to back up the data all I need do is copy NBNdata.bak to a network drive.

I'm still curious to know why I can't access a network drive with the "view or change back up location" tool.

Cheers

Mark Simmons
Perth Museum

Hi Mark

If you have admin rights on the MS SQLServer machine you could stop the SQLServer running and navigate to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data

there should be two NBNData_ files. You can zip these up and move them onto another machine for safe keping. If you want to restore them at any time then again stop the SQL server and restore to the same directory.

Not sure if this is a recommended practice but it certainly works okay.

Oh - and remember to restart the server after you've done any of this.

Cheers

Iain

Hi Mark
The Backup and Restore in Recorder uses SQL Server's built in backup and restore mechanism, which means it is limited to backing up to a drive which the SQL Server process has access rights to. By default, SQL Server is set up to run on a special login which does not have access to the network drives. This improves security and I would not recommend you change this.

A good way of doing backup and restore if you have a copy of SQL Management Studio or any tool that allows you to administer SQL Server would be to setup a backup at, say, 11:00 every night. Then, if you write a little batch file that copies the backup file somewhere on the network, you can add a Scheduled Task (using Control Panel) to run the batch file shortly afterwards, say 11:30.

If you don't leave your PC on, then you could always set this up to run during the day, e.g. at lunchtime. Recorder will be able to continue operating fine whilst the backup is running (remember, SQL Server is designed to be able to cope with regular backups of websites that drive 24h websites).

I hope this helps

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John & Iain for your replies. That clarifies matters for me.

Mark Simmons
Perth Museum