Re: SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 Migration / Network questions

Hi All,

We currently have a Recorder v6.10 database running under SQL 2000 server and I have been asked to migrate the data across to our new 'virtual' SQL 2005 Standard Server environment (VMware based) I don't for see any major problems in doing this as I intend to keep the sql compatability mode set at '80', as I understand SQL 2005 Is not yet fully supported? 

Question1:
Is there any documentation out there that can assist me with the move from one SQL Server to another (or is it just a case of backup/restore or attach/detach?) are there any guidelines I should be following?

Question2:
Once the database has been moved to the new environment a couple of external users will require access to it across a 10MBit wan link, bearing in mind our database is quite large what sort of performance could we expect?

Question3:
Are there any specific ports that need to be opened through our firewall to allow these external users access to Recorder apart from the obvious SQL ports?

Many Thanks,
Mark

Re: SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 Migration / Network questions

Migrating from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 is similar to migrating from MSDE to SQL Server. This is covered in the Network Installation Guide (page 10 in v5.1).  Hopefully there is enough information there to do your migration. The default database and log file names are NBNData_Data.MDF and NBNData_log.LDF.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687