Re: Reassign data custody

I need to export one survey from our R6.10.4 database, transferring custodianship to another user who will be managing that survey remotely and exporting data back to me from time to time.

Exporting small surveys, using either Export Data with the survey highlighted or using an Export Filter, works fine. Unfortunately, when I try to export this survey of 250k records, the system hangs on Finding Information to Export... before it even gets to the screen where you specify the details of the transfer of custodianship. I have tried this several times and on two machines, but the same thing happens every time.

Any suggestions?

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Hi Janet

Apologies for not replying sooner to this post.

I have been able to reproduce your problem here with a network copy of R6 - I tried to export 3 surveys with a total of 246,000 taxon occurrences and this eventually fell over.

Unfortunately we won't be able to resolve this in the next version released, but I will put it forward to be fixed in the subsequent version.

In the interim, have you managed to find a way around this and export the records?

Please let me know and I'll do what I can to help,

Best wishes,

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Hi Sarah,

I got round it by backing up my database, reassigning custody of the whole database, exporting the survey in question, and then reverting my database to the backup. That solved my immediate problem but it now means that we have two systems which both think they have custody of the same dataset. It has now been modified extensively on the other system and is about to be exported back to me, so it will be interesting to see what problems that throws up when I try to import it back into my system!

It would be useful to know what the size limit is on this function at the moment. We are intending to make heavy use of this feature over the next few years, with each survey in our dataset being managed by a different regional coordinator, so if we are going to have to wait a while for a fix we may have to rethink our whole strategy. Perhaps we could get it to work if we broke our database down into smaller surveys?

When do you expect the version after next to be available?

Best wishes,
Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society