1 (edited by Janet Simkin 01-12-2013 23:32:00)

Topic: Access vs Permission

We are getting a lot of access requests from consultancies and other organisations asking for full access when the data is already on the NBN at full resolution. They are advised to do this on the website.

Although the website makes it very clear when written permission is required, there still seems to be a misunderstanding on the part of the data user, between asking permission to use the data for commercial or academic use and asking for a higher level of access. We hardly ever get people asking our permission, and yet it is clear from the access requests that our data is being used for these purposes without it. If asked we would almost always grant it, but we would like to be asked as we would sometimes prefer to supply the data directly from our database so we can check it for gremlins first.

Could the website have a separate but similar function to enable people to ask permission and for administrators to grant, refuse and track it? This would allay many of the concerns within my society about us putting data onto the NBN.

Apologies if this has been raised before, I think it has but I can't find the thread.

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society