1 (edited by Syrphus 22-11-2013 19:14:00)

Topic: Easy Maps

I use the Easy Maps widget a lot in the HBRG site.  Since the launch of the new Gateway the map display continues as it should, but:

1) The link to the interactive map fails because it points to the old URL.  Can the default be made link=0 so that I and other webmasters who use it and who have chosen to include the link to the interactive map do not need to change every call in our sites?  Or to link to the new IMT.  This should be possible with a couple of keystrokes in the widget program.

2) The map is generated from the old Gateway e.g. http://old-data.nbn.org.uk/output/gridG … 241306.gif [edit - this is not a working link, just an example from the source code], so in this state will not be updated.  I am told that steps are being taken to link it with the new software, but can we have an idea, please, of the timescale?

3) Until the work is complete, may we have a notification on the map to the effect that the display may not show show the latest data?

Murdo

Re: Easy Maps

Hello Murdo

Work has been going on to update the EasyMaps widget to point at the new Gateway database and is at the stage of currently being tested. Once testing has finished it can then be released so should not be too long, though at the moment I can not give an exact timescale as that depends on what testing throws up. I will add you suggestions re the old EasyMap though currently the developers are focused on the new site.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Thanks, Graham.

M.

We also use the Easymaps widget on our website and as a result of the changes it is currently displaying the following message.
"No results available.
The National Biodiversity Network has not returned any results.
This can occur if the query you supplied is incorrect or if the service is currently unavailable.
Detailed error message: An unspecified error has occurred trying to generate a grid map. null"

This is not particularly informative and if a new version is not high on the priority list is it possible to have a more user friendly error message please?

Yes - the widget has been out of action for a few days, and very unreliable for a few days before that.  Rather than give a more helpful error message, please sort the problem.

M.

I see the maps are displaying this evening, but loading is very slow and the page loading does not terminate for a good while after the map is on show.

M.

Hello Chris

The update of the easimap widget to work with the new version of the NBN Gateway is high on the priority list and is close to being released once a couple of issues found during the testing phase, have been resolved. I am hoping this will not be too long

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer