Topic: Download Wizard - Peer Review barrier

Using the Download Wizard to download Diptera records for eventual use in the Dipterists Digest publication. It is peer-reviewed but is not profit-making (I'm personally an advocate of Open-Access Publishing).
Only the first two "purposes" in the drop-down list permit "permission-free" downloading, "Personal interest" is clearly not the correct one, the second item,

Educational purposes - Small scale student assignments (but not PhD theses or papers published in peer reviewed literature), environmental education - e.g. producing a leaflet. Non commercial training products."

expressly forbids our journal because it is peer-reviewed.
Any options after that require written permission.
Surely this is a barrier to the legitimate use of the records by National Recording Schemes, Dipterists Forum cannot be the only NSS whose journals are peer-reviewed and whose members provided these records in the first place (mostly)

Re: Download Wizard - Peer Review barrier

Hi Darwyn,
Following feedback from a couple of other data providers, we are already considering adding an extra category of use:
"Volunteer recording scheme or society use".  This would cover things like producing a checklist to use at a field meeting, using data to target recording effort to fill gaps or to monitor key sites, use of data by VC recorders as an aid to verification. 
I was actually wondering whether it should cover use of the data in scheme or society publications, or whether this should come under the 'media publication' or 'research' categories, which require written permission, so your message is very timely! 
The NBN Gateway Terms and Conditions state that you cannot 'republish [the data] wholesale' or 'derive any financial profit' from it.  I think this could be interpreted as allowing use of data to inform an article in a society journal or newsletter, whilst prohibiting use of data (without written permission) to produce a county atlas.  But what do others think?
It would be great to have as few restrictions as possible over the use of data, so any insight into the views of data providers on whether they and their recorders would be happy to have records from their datasets used in NSS, LSS or NGO publications without the prior need for permission would be really helpful. 
The aim of these use categories is to provide a broad idea of how data is being used, per dataset, per data provider and across the whole NBN.  Users can select the wrong use category (accidentally or deliberately) but if the majority of users select the right category it will still give meaningful metrics of data use.  We're monitoring this at the moment.

Re: Download Wizard - Peer Review barrier

>>>The NBN Gateway Terms and Conditions state that you cannot 'republish [the data] wholesale' or 'derive any financial profit' from it.  I think this could be interpreted as allowing use of data to inform an article in a society journal or newsletter, whilst prohibiting use of data (without written permission) to produce a county atlas.  But what do others think?<<<

My take on this, Paula, would be that 'republishing the data' would imply detailing the where/when/who etc., but that producing a map with data just as dots, with appropriate acknowledgement to  the data provider and NBNG, would not qualify as 'republishing the data'.  If an atlas were to be a profit-making product I would not count that as 'deriving financial profit' from the data as long as these were a relatively small part of the whole atlas set.  And at least one county atlas is free - see http://www.hbrg.org.uk/AntAtlas/DownloadAntAtlas.html ;-)!

Murdo