Topic: Commenting on downloads

I realise this has been discussed somewhat elsewhere in relation to commercial use of data but that isn't what i wanted to mention here.

I believe quite a few providers will have just noted a download notification for GCN records for the purpose of 'personal interest and pond dipping'(!!). This concerns me a bit (assuming it is legit). I have replied directly suggesting this is not a good idea and directed them to the NE info page.

However, with so many receiving this notification i would assume others have done the same, is there a better way to be able to respond to these types of requests? Other than all spamming Paula with 'have you seen this..' emails, it would seem to make sense to co-ordinate this kind of response.

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Commenting on downloads

Yes I replied to this by directing him towards licenced people in our local Reptiles and Amphibian Group. I hadn't realised from the download email that I received that it was a national download rather than a local one, so had just assumed the latter.

Maybe the summary text of (in our case) "364 records from this dataset in this download. This is 10.8% of this dataset and this comprises 1.2% of the download" that can be found in the download stats could be included in the email so that the dataset adminstrator can, with some mental arithmetic, work out that it was actually a much wider request? Or maybe something more explicit saying this could be included?

There still remains that matter of a coordinated response though. With so many (potential) separate replies the downloader may be too scared to go near the Gateway (or a pond) ever again!

Keith

Re: Commenting on downloads

There may be a way this could be made clearer though having received quite a few i now check the filters and if it doesn't specify then i assume national!

He has actually now replied and i also suggested contacting his Local ARG, at least our advice is consistent!

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast