Topic: Upgrade 6.21.1 is now available as a Release Candidate

Upgrade 6.21.1  is now available as a Release Candidate at www.Recorder6.info/UpgradeKit614to621Build270RC.zip  .  There is no separate upgrade for Version 6.20.   Details on installing the upgrade together and the notes on what has changed are attached here (AdditionalNotes621.rtf).  The normal release notes will be available with the final version.  Please download and read the attached notes before installing the upgrades.

The Release Candidate  is a version of the Recorder 6 upgrade (Version 6.21 build 270) which has been tested and which we believe to be in its final form, but which we would like to have installed on a few systems before making it more generally available.  If you install the release candidate then you may need to run the final upgrade version when it becomes available on the JNCC web site.

Please note that when installed the R6 Version should read 6.21.1.270.

Additionally there are also five optional addins which are either new or updated.  These are attached here as a zip file, but also available at  www.Recorder6.Info/OptionalAddins621.zip, because of the difficulties some users are having with zipped files and Internet Explorer. See the notes attached here for information on these addins. A new version of the NBNExchange Addin whcih fixes the problems with installation and with abundance data is currently being tested - this version will only work once R6 has been upgraded to 6.21.

An exampe report which identifies duplicate external references is attached. When installed this will be found in Report/Run/System Reports/Duplicates. This could be modified to give more information and/or to provide  a batch update to remove duplicates.

Post's attachments

AdditionalNotes621.rtf 94.51 kb, 30 downloads since 2013-11-16 

Dup7-External Ref Duplicates.xml 2.44 kb, 10 downloads since 2013-11-16 

OptionalAddins.zip 1.85 mb, 13 downloads since 2013-11-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

2 (edited by DavidChun 18-11-2013 16:02:20)

Re: Upgrade 6.21.1 is now available as a Release Candidate

Installed without problem.  Not sure what you think is wrong with the notes apart from a  few typing  errors, they seem much more user friendly than anything we have had before. I was already importing data on a temporary basis, more or less in the way described,  but being able to import without having to worry about the names or having them messing up my system, will be a big help.  If I remove my temporary Surveys and reimport them how best can I then get rid of the names I have already created which I don't need.

David

It depends how many you have and how easy they are to identify.  Once the Surveys are deleted there is the option to delete them via the Data entry/Names and Addresses. If there are any records which use   the individual they will not delete. Otherwise a report or SQL on any individual with no data would a  possibility, or a Batch update which deletes individuals without any entries. Care needs to be used with the Batch Update approach, especially if the system has Tenure entries, or there are individuals who input data, but do not have any records.   If you let me know the situation on your system, I will advise futher or provide the reports/updates if required.

Mike Weideli

Mike I have so far been unable to open the Optional addins zip file (it says it is invalid)

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

OK tried the update and it failed with a syntax error whilst running script 97 (usually this is something to do with our still being on SQL2000). The upgrade apparently stopped after the error message, eventually had to crash out of the updater. Recorder opens normally & reports version 6.21.1.270.

I tried to run the script (97) in Management Studio as this has usually enabled me to track down the syntax error, but in this case it has proved beyond my experience. Quite a lot of the script went through OK, but there were several messages as follows:

Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 10
Line 10: Incorrect syntax near '('.
Msg 4902, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Cannot alter table 'dbo.External_GUI_Link' because this table does not exist in database 'NBNData'.
Msg 208, Level 16, State 11, Line 3
Invalid object name 'External_GUI_Link'.
Msg 208, Level 16, State 11, Line 4

& Several duplicates of the last message (clearly the CREATE TABLE failed)

Msg 2627, Level 14, State 1, Line 1
Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_IW_Table_Rule_Post_Processing_Procedure'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'IW_Post_Processing_Procedure'.
The statement has been terminated.

I think recorder still works, but would really like to get to the bottom of this ASAP. Help

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Mike - awesome - a couple of bugs/extras with the changes to the obs hierachy names:

* when a taxon has been recorded using a common name, e.g. Indian Balsam, the scientific name isn't in italics.
* the above also seems to happen with other taxa - Dryopteris austriaca on the VASC list for example.
* is it possible to show the author name in the "taxon as recorded" - this is really essential for splits/lumps etc.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Rob

I think this is to do with using SQL 2000. Remove the whole contents of 0000097, just leaving a blank  file  and run again. It might stop on 9B. If so let me know.

Just to explain 0000097 was for version 6.20 and is completely replaced in 6.21 with 000009B. As most uses have not separately implemented 6.20 , script 0000097 is redundant.

Mike

Mike Weideli

8 (edited by RobLarge 19-11-2013 14:15:37)

Done, as you guessed it stopped at 9B. There is no 9B.sql file in the scripts folder, so I presume this is updated by other means.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

After the previous failure, Recorder crashed on opening the Taxon dictionary, because of Invalid column name 'Preferred_Name_Attribute'.

This no longer happens, but the taxon dictionary window is empty

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

It will be there, but not in the order you suspect.   Probably listed after 8Z. Could you run it in SQL Server and let me know where it fails.

Mike Weideli

Much the same situation as before, seems to be setting the constraints on the primary key of a table?

Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 10
Line 10: Incorrect syntax near '('.
Msg 4902, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
Cannot alter table 'dbo.Taxon_Occurrence_Ext_Ref' because this table does not exist in database 'NBNData'.
Msg 208, Level 16, State 11, Line 3
Invalid object name 'Taxon_Occurrence_Ext_Ref'.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Rob

Revise 9B attached. I can't test the actual upgrade in SQL Server 2000, but I have tested the concept behind the change as best I can.

Post's attachments

0000009B.sql 91.57 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-11-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

13 (edited by RobLarge 19-11-2013 15:07:31)

That ran without incident thanks Mike.

However when I opened Recorder our Taxon dictionary browser window is still empty.

I exited and ran the whole upgrade again, but still nothing visible.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Try rebuilding Index_Taxon_Name. Otherwise this problem is in the core program and I will need to refer to John.

Mike Weideli

Rebuilding the indexes now

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Better now thanks. I'll let you know how we get on.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

So was that problem because I forgot to re-index after installing 1T & 1U, or because of the latest version upgrade? If the latter, probably needs adding to the release notes.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Reference the addin download.  Have you tried dowloading the file from http://www.recorder6.info/OptionalAddins621.zip

Mike Weideli

Oddly enough Mike, I copied the text of your post above into an email to Purgle and she managed to click the link in the email & open it normally. I assume it is a browser problem then (I am using Firefox)

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

I use Firefox. The problem most people are having is with Internet Explorer and zip  files downloaded from the Forum.

You do need to build all the indexes after a dictionary upgrade, but not after the application upgrade.

Mike Weideli

Wierd, the link above works for me now, but didn't earlier.

That's what I thought about the dictionary upgrades, but I have never had it cause the dictionary browser to be empty before and T & U were such small updates.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer