1 (edited by BDeed 31-10-2013 14:01:29)

Topic: Download reports

I have started receiving download notifications again which seems fine, other than one for GCN from Somerset? (GCN, "Personal Interest" and an email address from a commercial consultancy, doubly dodgy!) that aside i still seem to be having problems accessing the download reports...

The links to reports sent with the notifications are still not working;

"Server Error
An issue has occurred on the NBN Gateway which means we are unable to satisfy your request."

Edit:

In reference to the GCN request it seems from the notification that she has actually accessed records for the whole country which is why i received it so not an error.

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Download reports

Like everyone, I am sussing how this new system works, so I checked my download log (HBRG, N Scotland) and find that indeed this lady from FirstEcology has downloaded 63 of our Highland records in order to 'understand gcn distribution in somerset' for 'Personal interest'.  Forgive me if I am just a tad sceptical!

Our HBRG records are on full public access, but this does seem in conflict with the rules of the game.  It was suggested to me early on in the consultation that this sort of apparent misuse of the download privilege would lead to more datasets being placed on restricted access.  If that happens, we will all be losers.  Here we are on day 1 of proper function, and that fear seems very real.

NBNG team - please sort this one quickly!

Murdo

Out of curiosity have you also just received the one for Otters at Star Carr Farm in Yorkshire?

Psychic, are you?  It popped in just 10 min ago.

M.

I had a recent data access request for GCN records for "Grid Square SO05" from a "commercial" consultancy e-mail address under the heading "statutory work".  As SO05 is in Wales and the Berkshire amphibian dataset is unlikely to hold much data for this area I got the impression this was a "shotgun ask everyone for their data" request across the NBN so I declined the access request.  Even if the real reason for a download is  "statutory work"  I would expect to see some sort of explanation given in the Description box.

Hi
If a user writes in the 'description of data use' box that they are interested in a particular species and/or a particular area, but then doesn't doesn't select taxonomic or geographic filters in their access request or download, they will get more records than those referred to in the description of use.  E.g. if someone is interested in otters in Yorkshire but doesn't select a geographic filter, they will get all otter records for the whole of the UK and Ireland.  This may be user error or it may be deliberate - they might want to filter the records geographically themselves in GIS, because this gives them more functionality than the Gateway filters (e.g. draw their own polygon).  Or they might want to look at the national distribution of otters to inform their study of otters in Yorkshire.
Yes, consultants downloading records or requesting access to records for a desk study for a client should select "Data Provision and Interpretation Services (Commercial)" as the reason for use.  A few have selected the wrong use type - I have contacted them, and so have some of the data providers.  I have also posted about this on the CIEEM LinkedIn Group and UK Ecology Professionals LinkedIn group.  The issue of consultants using the Gateway for data searches and contravening the T&Cs is not new and we (NBN, ALERC, ALGE, CIEEM) have been working together to try to reduce this through awareness raising and training, and we will continue to do so.
Matt - regardless of which use category is selected, the user has to type a description in the free text box.  If you are not happy with their description, you can reject their request for access or ask them for more information before you grant it.

paula lightfoot wrote:

Matt - regardless of which use category is selected, the user has to type a description in the free text box.  If you are not happy with their description, you can reject their request for access or ask them for more information before you grant it.

The comments box was empty when the request arrived, if the request should always have something in the comments box then perhaps the form should not be accepted if the box was empty - ie default is "reason/explanation is required".

Just to jump in here, we've had some downloads with the reason being "personal interest" in the comments box as well as the drop down. Perhaps a minimum word limit would be useful? Hate them myself, but not sure how to encourage people to be a bit more descriptive (as these are downloads rather than access requests I can't intercept them and ask for more information?)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

9 (edited by Matt Smith 19-11-2013 10:30:28)

I had another acess request for GCN data this morning under the heading "'Data provision and interpretation (commercial)" with the reasons given being "I am an ecologist working for an environmental consultancy firm. I would like to request better access to records of amphibian species for use in Extended Phase 1 Habitat reports and amphibian surveys. "

Fair enough, this has been sent through under the correct heading but it still strikes me as a very general "shotgun" request that would, if granted, allow access to the whole dataset.  Even if access was granted for a limited period then the whole dataset could be downloaded and kept for future use.

For GCN consultancy work, I am more used to seeing very site specific data requests, normally along the lines of "request all GCN records within 1-2km of point X!    Certainly our local LRC, to which we send all of our data, provides chargeable data searches along these lines.  I can see a significant loss of income for some LRCs or ARGs if all these very "send me all the data" request are granted.

I would be interested in the NBN view on how, as a data provider, I should manage requests of this nature now that the new version of the Gateway is in operation, along with the new data download facilities.  In this instance I am probably going to refuse access to this very "open ended" request.

What would be very useful would be a "point search" facility for NBN data requests - if a user could specify "all records from your dataset within a specified distance of point X" this would be a very useful tool.

Morning Matt,

I have just denied a number of requests from someone asking just that.. Interestingly they actually approached the LRC and paid for a search only a few weeks ago, i assumed it was in relation to that request but the lack of a filter may suggest otherwise.

I would agree however, if the search had been filtered geographically i would have had no problem in granting access. All we can do for now is explain that in the response (i also offered to repeat the search for 'all' records if that was what they really wanted at no additional charge).

I am seeing duplicates in my download log.  I posted somewhere else the other day that I had received duplicate requests for enhanced access - these were exactly the same, even to the time-stamp, but the download duplicates are stamped at slightly different times.  Is this due to the request being made twice, or is it a problem in the software that handles the requests?

Example:
Anthony Price        Thu Nov 14 2013 20:17:12 (GMT)    All sensitive and non-sensitive records for Culicidae null    Personal interest    Personal interest.    4 records from this dataset in this download. This is 0.0% of this dataset and this comprises 0.1% of the download
Anthony Price        Thu Nov 14 2013 20:15:30 (GMT)    All sensitive and non-sensitive records for Culicidae null    Personal interest    Personal interest.    4 records from this dataset in this download. This is 0.0% of this dataset and this comprises 0.1% of the download

I'm interested in how others deal with access requests for purposes that, under the NBN Gateway Ts and Cs, would seem to require written permission from the data provider (financial profit, commercial, academic research - so consultancies and potentially students, for example).  If you are happy with the proposed use, do you accept the data request and info. given in 'request reason' as requesting permission and provide written permission within the 'Grant reason' text box?  Or, do you for example state that you are providing access for use of the data as laid out in the Ts and Cs, and that you should be contacted directly if they intend to use any data (including parts of the datasets that are full public access) for any of the purposes that require explicit written consent?

Thanks,
Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Biodiversity Data Analyst
Scottish Wildlife Trust

Hi Lindsay,

From my point of view if we provide access then the data can be used at the level provided and is granted on the basis of the text in the application. I suppose there is a large element of trust and best practice involved but i would personally like to work on that basis, with partners and data users, than on legal constraints and what are ultimately pretty much un-enforceable Ts&Cs.

We are using the Gateway, i suppose, as a framework extension of the LRC and the same rules apply. Non-commercial use (including academic) is free and advanced access will be granted on request, via the text field. Commercial advanced access will not be granted, as there is a business risk but more importantly this would mean commercial work was missing out on all the additional information we provide which the Gateway does not, that said we have no real objection to use of data at public level (tetrad) for the purpose of flagging up where advanced access to MBB data is appropriate.

I hope that is of some use.

Ben

I have had a download notification thus:

Andre Gardner        Sat Nov 16 2013 15:36:40 (GMT)    All sensitive and non-sensitive records for Triturus cristatus (Laurenti, 1768)    Personal interest    Want to find populations near my home to go pond dipping.    63 records from this dataset in this download. This is 0.2% of this dataset and this comprises 0.2% of the download

In the old days Andre could have seen the data local to his home (wherever that is) through the old (and much-loved) interactive map.  It is unlikely that he would have selected every GCN dot on the map.  Now he downloads thousands of records from the entire country in order to look at the few that might be relevant.

Is this what was intended?  I don't know.  Desirable?  I doubt it.  Useful to the recipient?  Not if he really just wants records from near his home.  Why is it not possible through our new IMT to download (or copy and paste in one action rather than 25 at a time) all the records included in the bounding box?  I suspect that if that facility was available as in the old IM fewer blanket downloads would be called.  The current geographical filter in the download dialogue is far too clumsy to encourage its use.  Once again, something that could be done in seconds in the old Gateway takes wading through an opaque and clumsy process in the new 'improved' version.

I will continue to ponder whether Andre wants this info to avoid catching GCN or the opposite.

M.

Myself and Keith have also replied to this user suggesting he contact his local ARG (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=4933). His response to me implied he wanted to net a few to "see what all the fuss was about".

>>>His response to me implied he wanted to net a few to "see what all the fuss was about".<<<

In which case I hope the powers-that-be cancel his registration with NBNG.

M.