Topic: Record Cleaner problems

Hello
I'm using Record Cleaner and get some error messages, which are not as helpful as they could be.
After starting the validation process, I get error messages like: "There was an errror in your data file at about line: 19737. This could well be stray quotation mark. The CSV appears corrupt near record 19736 field 11 at position 2769. Current raw data:....."
Then a long text of record sets follows, where I don't know, if the affected record is at the beginning, at the end or somewhere in the middle. From this message I have difficulties to find out, which record is affected. It would be good, if the error message would let me know the field name and the value of the unique identifier. That would make it much easier to find the record in the original data. In the above mentioned example it doesn't help, even to delete that, what I think to be records 19735, 19736 and 19737. 

Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: Record Cleaner problems

Hello Wolfgang

The issue is that the NBN Record Cleaner is struggling with the format of your data which is commonly due to an extra quotation mark. This can be difficult to track down and unfortunately the error message isn't helpful in this respect. I usually find it quicker to remove all single and double quotes (using find and replace) in a copy of the file rather than try to track the issue down. Most of the time this resolves the issue and the records load OK to allow record validation and verification.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Hello Graham,
thank you very much for the tip. I ran the find and replace over night. But it still stops at the same position. I fear I' have to continue to guess the affected records and to delete it, when I've found it. The find and replace might at least have reduced some future errors though.
Do you think, it is possible to make the error message more precise regarding the name of the field and the affected recordset. Could Record Cleaner be improved in this respect at some point in the future?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

Hello Wolfgang

At the moment there are no current plans to develop the NBN Record Cleaner further but have added the above issue if things change. If you are still struggling to pin point the issue then if you can send me the file I can have a look to see if I can track it down.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer