1 (edited by brianmiller 09-10-2007 13:04:46)

Re: Sample and Location Name bug

I have just been entering some data and have come across a similar problem as was happing with matching Locations with the import wizard (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=220).

Version using is: 6.10.4.120

This time it happens when entering data via a Species Record Card (have not checked to see if happens when using a recording card too, I would assume it does).

When entering a species and recording it against a location it appears fine in the obs hierarchy. However, if I add another species record on the same location, same grid ref, same date, same recorder, but want it as a different Location Name, upon saving the record it puts it within the previous sample record. I then have to manually create a sample and write in the Location Name again and drag and drop the species into this. If I am stating a different Location Name in the Species Record Card it should appear as a separate sample within the same Event.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)

Hi Brian

Many thanks for posting this up. I'll have a look into it and get back to you.

Best wishes,

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Hi Brian

I can reproduce this in my copy of Recorder 6.

This is essentially the same as another outstanding issue with the way the import wizard handles location/location name and the creation of events/samples in much the same way.

The response from Dorset Software was that this is a result of the way that the location name field is handled by the import wizard (i.e. it is extracted from the location field only when relevant rather than being a true separate import field) and that there isn't an easy way to change it. However, we have asked them to review this problem before the next version, and plan to hopefully resolve things by making the import wizard a little bit more flexible in terms of importing location and location name information.

I'll also raise this issue with them - am I right in thinking that you would want to see 1 event (against a location) and 2 samples (each with their respective location names).

I've also checked the behaviour of recording cards. Adding occurrences using a card and then changing the location name field (and adding more occurrences) creates a second event and sample. This is better than the way the 'Enter a sp. record' screen works, but I'm not sure this is ideal.

I think if you specified just a location (but no location name) in the first instance, and then added an occurrence for the same location but with a location name, then this should be added as an additional sample under the existing event. However, if you do specify a location name as well as a location in the first instance, and then a different location name when adding further occurrences, this should go under a new event and sample.

Would you agree with this?

Best wishes,

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC