Topic: Release of the Recorder 6 v6.18.1 upgrade

As part of our Recorder 6 support and maintenance contract with JNCC, Mike Weideli, John van Breda and I have completed the upgrade to v6.18.1. It is now available for download from http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4612 . Please note that new installation disks/downloads will not be made available for this release. This upgrade contains a series of bug fixes and several minor changes. Please see the release notes on the download page for more details. The Help will be updated as part of the upgrade and the section headed ‘Significant changes in Recorder 6 version 6.18’ on the Home page lists the changes with appropriate links to sections of the Help that provide more information. I hope this will assist users with taking advantage of the new functionality.

If you ran the candidate release upgrade announced in http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=15674#p15674 please run the latest version of the upgrade from http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4612 .

The v6.18 upgrade starts the implementation of the extensive taxon dictionary upgrade by the Natural History Museum. The full implementation, planned for v6.19,  is designed to alleviate some of the reporting problems in Recorder 6. The v6.18 upgrade adds the Organism table which then needs to be populated with dictionary upgrades 00000015 to 0000001N – see http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4615 . Please heed the warnings about upgrading to v6.18 first and about 00000015 to 0000001N taking a long time to run. They should take 1 to 2 hours to run but on older/slower machines they may take much longer. Also, don’t forget to rebuild all 4 indexes after the dictionary upgrade. Users who ran 00000015 to 0000001A announced in http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=15674#p15674 should run 0000001B to 0000001N. These timimgs were true for the original 00000015 to 0000001A but when preparing 00000015 to 0000001N Mike Weieli was able to speed up the upgrade considerably.

Please report any problems or issues on the forum http://forums.nbn.org.uk/index.php .

The revised Help can be accessed prior to upgrading your system by unzipping the download then extracting Rec20Hlp.chm from the Help folder in UpgradeFiles.zip. Provided your system allows you to open .chm files you will be able open Rec20Hlp.chm and see the Help as it appears in Recorder 6.

I have reproduced the list of significant changes in this release from the Home page below for those who would like to read more about them before downloading, although the formatting and hyperlinks that take you to the full details in the Help have been lost.

Significant changes in Recorder 6 version 6.18

Recorder 6 version 6.18 will import data from, and export data to, Excel 2007 and 2010 files, i.e. *.xlsx files. The previous versions would only import from and export to Excel 2003 and earlier files, i.e. *.xls files.

The Sources tab, used throughout the system to link items to internal documents and external references, has been enhanced to allow website URLs to be specified as external references, in addition to file paths. When entering external references, a display caption can also be specified which will be shown, instead of the reference itself, on the Sources tab. If a file path is stored in the External File Path, specified on the File Locations tab in Tools - Options, then that part of the file path isn't displayed on the Sources tab.

Two new options have been added for viewing the location hierarchy. If "Include file code in location hierarchy" is ticked on the General tab in Tools - Options, then the file codes will appear alongside the location names in the hierarchy on the left. If "Include spatial reference in location hierarchy" is ticked then the spatial references will appear alongside the location names.

The parent locations in the the location hierarchy can now be sorted by location name, file code or spatial reference.

Changing the location on a survey event or sample or adding a new one, used to, in some circumstances, automatically change the spatial reference of the event or sample. This behaviour has been reviewed and, when changing the location on a survey event or sample now, you will receive a prompt asking "Do you want to update the spatial reference to the centroid of the selected location?" with the option to answer Yes or No.

A completely blank dictionary list called " A List to hold User Added Taxa" has been added to the taxon dictionary. It appears as the first list in the taxon dictionary. It has been provided for users who wish to keep all their user added taxa together in one place rather than to add them to different lists in the dictionary.

When filtering observations in the observation hierarchy, a filter can be set on the Surveyor's Ref.

Conditions can now be set on the following fields for taxon occurrences in the report wizard:

Obs Changed Date - must be input in yyyymmdd format
       Obs Entry Date - must be input in yyyymmdd format
       Obs Key
       Obs Confidential - Yes or No
       Obs Verified - 0, 1 or 2
       Obs Zero Abundance - Yes or No

Various attributes have been added to the report wizard:

Event group

Event Top-level Location

Metadata group

Survey Key
       Survey Entry Date
       Survey Changed Date
       Event Key
       Event Entry Date
       Event Changed Date
       Sample Key
       Sample Entry Date
       Sample Changed Date

Sample group

Sample Easting SW Corner
       Sample Easting Centre
       Sample Northing SW Corner
       Sample Northing Centre

Sample group - Grid square group

Sample 100 m Square
       Sample 10 m Square
       Sample Tetrad

Sample group - Location group

Sample Top-level Location

Taxon group

Taxon Kingdom
       Taxon Phylum
       Taxon Class
       Taxon Order
       Taxon Family
       Recommended Common Name/Taxon Group
       Recommended Taxon Name without Sub-genus
       Taxon group - Observation Metadata group
       Obs Entry Date
       Obs Changed Date

Note that Obs Key has been moved to the Observation Metadata group within the Taxon group and other attributes in the Observation group have been moved to the Observations group within the Taxon group. More information has been added to the Help about the different options for outputting taxon names.

As well as the changes above, a few things were added after the Help was updated but before release:

The following attributes have also been added:
1.    Recommended Taxon Name/Attribute no sub gen. – the recommended scientific name as specified in the taxon dictionary without the sub-genus when applicable, plus the attribute, e.g. sensu lato, when present.
2.    Recommended Taxon Name/Attribute – the recommended scientific name as specified in the taxon dictionary, plus the attribute, e.g. sensu lato, when present.
3.    Taxon Latin Name/Attribute no sub gen. – the scientific name for the taxon entered without the sub-genus when applicable, plus the attribute when present.
4.    Taxon Latin Name/Attribute – the scientific name for the taxon entered, plus the attribute when present.
5.    Taxon Attribute – the attribute for Taxon Name, not the name itself
6.    Taxon Latin Attribute – the attribute for Taxon Latin Name, not the name itself
7.    Recommended Taxon Name Attribute – the attribute for Recommended Taxon Name, not the name itself
8.    Full Recommended Taxon Name – Recommended Taxon Name with attribute when present and the authority

Conditions can be set for Sample Type in the report wizard via Additional Filters on the Layout Selection window as requested in http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=15720#p15720

In v6.18, a filter can be placed on the Location hierarchy and the Names and Addresses list so that only data in the custody of the system is on view. For example to see only Individuals the system is Custodian of, select an individual and click the funnel icon on the active window toolbar then select Preferred (enter criterion as ‘Y’), select a condition and enter the Criterion.

In the Observation hierarchy, a filter can be applied in the same way for surveys but not for survey events, samples or observations.

Note that these filters may be slow where the system is filtering large numbers of entries.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Re: Release of the Recorder 6 v6.18.1 upgrade

Hi Sally/Mike,

Many thanks!

Just for clarification: I suspect not, but do those who installed the R6 Release Candidate and installed all of the Dictionary Upgrades to 0000001N need to re-install the Dictionaries?

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

A trying morning already and its only 10.27am.

Donwloaded the update but couldn't get it to run as a result of insufficient privileges. Turned out this was the legacy of a virus, already removed from our network, which had hidden all the folders and executables on our fileserver and replaced them with shortcuts to a SQL injection. Scary, but easily fixed.

When I finally got the update to run, it pregressed through to near the end of the "unpacking files" progress bar and then stopped there. I vaguely remembered this happening with some previous updates, so after a decent wait, I stopped the installer. R6 seems to have updated successfully to 6.18.1.260.

One day this will be a straightfrward process. Now to do the rest of the dictionary upgrades...

Thanks

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

4 (edited by nmrs 19-02-2013 10:44:50)

For the record, my upgrade to 6.18.1.260 from 6.18RC/0000001N was uneventful and took only what seemed a few seconds.

Les Evans-Hill

Installation of dictionary updates 1B to 1N completed without incident in a little under half an hour, indexes rebuilding now.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Les,

As you are at Dictionary Version 0000001N you don't need to run any dictionary upgrades. There have been no changes to them since Mike gave them to you to test.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Sally, many thanks. I tested to 1N on the NMRS but not on my own laptop copy of R6 as this implemented the Organism table correctly (108,222 entries if I recall). I will have to upgrade to 6.18.1.260 and run the dictionary upgrade 1B to 1N on the laptop or can I just change the appropriate setting in the SETTINGS table to 0000001N from 0000001A without running upgrades 1B to 1N?

Les Evans-Hill

Just ran both v6.18.1.260/1Bto1N upgrades on my laptop with no issues.

Les Evans-Hill

Sally,

I have an interesting problem - when I transferred Recorder from SQLServer 2003 to SQLServer 2008, it was all done via Windows Authentication, I do have an 'sa' user, but on trying to log-on I get an error message (abbreviated) saying "Server is configured for Windows authentication only" - trying to log-on via Windows Authentication gets an error stating need dbowner permission. I found the solution, so thought it worthwhile posting:

I found the setting which needed changing as follows:

1) log into the SQL Server Management Stuidio and connect to the server instance via Windows Authentication
2) you ma need to change the password for use 'sa' - go to Security|Logins and select 'sa' and choose 'Properties' - you can then enter a new password
3) to enable SQL Server authentication, click the right mouse button over the instance name in the left panel and choose 'Properties'
4) on the 'Security' tab under Server authentication select "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode"
5) SQL Server will then need to be restarted (make sure no-one else is using it before restarting if on a network!)

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

10 (edited by ser 22-02-2013 07:54:18)

First attempt to run the upgrade was a no-no, it just hung, and trying to run Recorder reported it was already running in this machine! After a restart, on checking Recorder it was still 6.18.1.259 (I thought I ran as administrator, but now not sure)

Second attempt, definitely run as administrator worked fine, in just a couple of minutes!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

sallyrankin wrote:

A completely blank dictionary list called " A List to hold User Added Taxa" has been added to the taxon dictionary. It appears as the first list in the taxon dictionary.

This may be a silly question, but how can taxon groups be assigned to user added taxa?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Or can't they?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

HI

have a free evening in the office so thought I'd get round to the upgrades.

having extracted the files to C-drive, went to run upgrade.exe as in the instructions.

we get the following message, for which any suggestions gratefully recieved. (its a server recorder 6, networked to a mix of windows 7 and windows xp machines)

"The following file cannot be upgraded.  It is either in use or you do not have sufficient access priveleges. \\rec-serv\Recorder6 Server\Addins\stdValLib.dll
please resolve this issue before restarting upgrade"

any ideas?
Louise
CPERC

Do you have admin rights on the server computer and did you run the upgrade as administrator?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

HI

apart from an upgrade to windows 7, nothing has changed on the machine from which we have run upgrades in the past?  I assume its something related to windows7 - most things are.

also, most of the add-ins in the folder of addins do not appear on the install add-ins menu tab, so have no useable addins!

I have found that with W7 if you right click on the update.exe and choose run as administrator, it works fine (I am an admin on all machines though), If I do not run as admin, but just double click on the .exe it usually fails with errors similar to the one you report.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

I guess it will be updating the validation library on your W7 machine that is causing the problem

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Hi all,

I have finally got around to trying to upgrade Recorder, but as soon as I start to run the install I get an error message and a bug report (Error accessing the OLE registry, program up time one second!). The admin rights shouldn't be a problem, does anyone have any ideas?

thanks