Topic: Error: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream

I've recently been trying to run a Recorder 6 database through record cleaner v1.0.8.3. I'm running on Windows 7 run as administrator.

When I connect to Recorder I get the survey list fine.
.. I select the first survey and click "Use selected".
.. I get a message saying "Congratulations - all records passed initial validation"
.. then a progress bar saying "Loading tests and setting up map"
.. but then before that progress bar completes I get an error "Unable to read beyond the end of the stream." and the system just hangs.

I've tried this on another database and it worked OK so it must be something specific to the Recorder database I'm querying.
I've tried selecting different surveys and use all records and the same error happens in all cases. 
I've also tried going back to the other R6 database which still works.

Anyone got any suggestions what might be causing this. The 2 recorder databases are the same database and dictionary version on the server and are essentially connecting with the same connection string.

Thanks. Dan

Re: Error: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream

Hello Dan

I don't have a suggestion of what is causing this, it sounds specific to this database. If it is possible to send me one of the surveys I will have a look further to see if I can work out the problem.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Hi Graham,

Just noticed there is a difference between the databases that work and the one that doesn't.

The version of the failing database is 6.17.2.251 and the working ones are all earlier versions up to and including 6.17.1.250 .

I assume Record Cleaners been tested against v6.17.2.251  but are there any db changes between 6.17.1 and 6.17.2 that might explain this?

I've done some googling and it looks like it's a standard VB error rather than something explicitly coded into Record Cleaner. Is there any way of checking what could generate that error?

Cheers. Dan

Hello Dan

As far as I am aware the NBN Record Cleaner has not been tested against v6.17.2.251. I have tried it against v6.17.1.250 and just updated my Recorder on Windows XP machine to the candidate release v6.18.1.259 and species dictionary 1A. This latest version worked OK for me.

It suggests a specific issue with how the Record Cleaner is handling the records in the affected Recorder database. One additional step would be to look at what records are being pulled out by the SQL in the .... UserSettings\ConnectionSettings.xml and run it as a spreadsheet through the NBN Record Cleaner to see if it causes the same error. If you send me the affected data I can have a look at it here

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer