Re: Help - recorder 6 back up issues - a tale of woe

Dear all,

I used to have a nice copy of Recorder6 functioning on a stand-alone machine.  Then one day recently my hard drive failed completely.  I had already created a back-up, having changed the location as outlined inthe R6 help files, to an external portable hard drive.

So, I tried several things:

I happened to have R6 on another machine as we had been having a training course, but on trying to restore from back up got an unhandled error message which froze the PC.

So, undaunted and now with a brand new machine, I re-installed R6 (6.7.2 is the disc we have) and then re-did the transfer from R2002.  As before, I got several thousand items rejected, which did NOT appear to be viewed on the sceen in any way but have been saved to an upgrade errors mdb.  So I assume everything is OKish, re-do the upgrades to R6.10.  The upgrades work OK but the dictionary upgrade does not - I got an error message about an unlinked image file (makes no sense to me, and previously, upgrades had gone smoothly).  Ignoring this side-issue, I have just looked into the new database to discover that most of my locations had disappeared, and records are now just assigned to grid references.  This did not happen last time I upgraded from R2002 to R6.

I therefore decided, possibly foolishly, to try and restore from back up.  I performed a back-up as suggested by the software, allowing it to back up to the hard drive default location.

I then located this file, and replaced it with the one from my external hard drive (from R6 before everything went wrong...), attempted to restore from back up, and got an unhandled error, frozen PC, la-de-la.  (an interesting point is that they were called different things - NBNdata.bak and NBNdatabackup.bak)

So, after re-starting PC, I now try and open  recorder 6 and get the following disastrous message:

An error occured whilst starting the application. EOleException: cannot open database requested in login 'NBNdata'.  Login fails

Any suggestions on where I go from here apart from home immediately?

Louise Bacon
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Biological Records Centre

Quick note - have emailed Louise directly to see if she is still having problems.

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Louise & Sarah

I can't explain everything in your account, but there are a few bits I can explain. Firstly the upgrade kit reporting an error about an image file - this error started happening after a Windows update (thanks Microsoft!) and JNCC should have an updated version of the dictionary upgrade kit executable which does not have the problem. Fortunately it only happens right at the end so it should not cause any problems with your data.

After backing up your database, re-installing your machine, then restoring the database, you are effectively restoring the database onto a different MSDE install. This causes problems because the database user in your restored database will not match the database login on the new server. Don't worry about the detail of this, what you need to know is that after restoring a database from a different machine, or from the same machine before a reinstall of everything, you need to run a piece of SQL as follows:
EXEC sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'nbnuser', 'nbnuser'

There are quite a few tools around which will let you run SQL against your database but if you don't have one available post back on this forum and we can sort out some suggestions for you.

I hope that sorts things out!

Regards

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi

I was glad to hear this morning that Louise had worked through the problems reported with her data transfer.

On another note, the most recent version of the dictionary upgrade kit (V2) is available as a download from the Recorder Software website - see http://forums.nbn.org.uk/recorderWebsit … grades.htm for details.

Thanks again John for your help,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC