Re: WMS Web services

Jim Bacon wrote:

Is there something about this time of the evening that causes the gateway to grind to a halt?

Yes - I always have trouble in the evening. Suggests it gets used more for leisure than for work I guess! There was a post a while back saying as much I seem to recall.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hello

There seems to be 3 issues going on here

1. Jim: The issue around reduced performance in the evening is thought to be do to scheduled CEH server activity outside the NBN Gateway. Paul Gilbertson and CEH system administrators are aware about it.

2. Tony: The intermittent issue with WMS due to transaction logs filling up seemed to have resolved itself yesterday without any intervention. Paul is looking into this and has changed some settings which he thinks should resolve the issue. However please let me know if you are continuing to see this error.

3. John. The occasional blank tile is also occurring on the interactive mapping tool but is proving difficult to pin down to the cause. Could you send me or post the WMS query next time it occurs and we will look into it further.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Thanks Graham, once again.

Solely in regard to item 1, I'm feeling a bit sore. The gateway has ground to a halt again, rendering itself and every website that now has a dependency on it, all but useless. Low and behold it is 7pm in the evening again.

Obviously I'm not going to be too rude about it, since I work for CEH, and those are my buddies who are responsible for this, and I know they are clever guys, and there must be reasons for it being this way but I think they will only agree that it is wrong and unacceptable, assuming they realise the consequences of what they are allowing to happen.

Can we bring this to the attention of the management if some circumstance is preventing the techie guys from sorting it out quickly.

Jim Bacon.

Hello Jim

I have passed you concerns around the performance of the NBN Gateway and web services on

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Graham. Thanks. That does seem to have reoslved the problem. I've not seen any errors for a day or so now.

Tony

There seems to be a few of the services down at the moment - see http://www.cucaera.co.uk/nbn-web-services-status/.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John

Sorry wasn't here yesterday to check but services seem to be working OK today. I usually keep an eye on them using Charlie's web page but let me know if there is still an issue

Best wishes

Graham

That's a really useful page. I worried i'd broken something at our end!

The one site service seems to be down? Could you let me know if possible when it might be back up?

Cheers,

Ben

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Noticed that it just went down too. Please let us know when it might be back up.

Cheers,
Luck

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

back up!

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Hello Ben

The issues affecting the one site data web service (and NBN Gateway site reports) should now be resolved and the web service should be working OK now

Best wishes

Graham