Topic: WMS Web services

Hi
The WMS Gateway web services don't seem to be operational at the moment - I am just getting a connection reset. Has something changed since the new release?
Thanks
John

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Re: WMS Web services

Hello Jon

It seems the WMS may have been down for a period over Christmas break but just checked and they seem to be working OK now

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Graham

I seem to be having a similar problem this morning so I guess the server is a bit grumpy again?

Ta

Iain

I'm seeing a lot of errors containing the following snippet of a stack trace

java.sql.SQLException: The transaction log for database 'GATEWAY_LOGS' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:368)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2816)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2254)

Details of example request - although its happening with multiple taxa
GET /arcgis/atlas/SingleSpeciesMap/NBNSYS0100004908/map?imagesize=4&fillcolour=ff0000&outlinecolour=ff0000&background=gbi100kgrid HTTP/1.1
Host : gis.nbn.org.uk

I don't know if this is related to the above or not but it looks like a database is getting a bit full.

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony

I have forwarded this post on to the NBN Gateway developers to check the transaction logs to see if they are full

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Hello Tony

One drive on a server was full up. This has now been resolved so there should be plenty of space for the transaction logs now. Let us know if you are still getting this transaction logs full error

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Graham
I'm using a WMS to load a SingleSpeciesMap and it is more or less working now, but I am seeing an internal server error on some requests which if I repeat the exact same request it works OK. So, I am seeing on OpenLayers that the first time you load a page, it shows a red tile. If you reload the page it works.
Cheers
John

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hello John

A red (pinkish) central tile was appearing on the NBN Gateway interactive mapper yesterday but seems to have resolved itself. If you continue to see a red tile on first loading can you send me a screenshot and I will look into it further

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Graham

Thats seems to have cleared the problem in most cases but I'm still getting intermittent failures. A few retries eventually seems to get the map to draw correctly.

Thanks

Tony

Thanks Tony

If you are still having problems with intermittent failures could you send me the WMS query with the parameters and we will have a look into it further

Best wishes

Graham

I seem to be having a similar problem this morning so I guess the server is a bit grumpy again.

Hello

Just had a look and the WMS should be working OK now

Best wishes
Graham

Graham
I've sent you an email with a screenshot, as we are still having problems both with the WMS and the grid map services.
Cheers
John

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

I had gridmap problems last night and this morning a simple search on the website resulted in java.sql.SQLException: The execution of a full-text query failed. "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."

Jim

John and Jim

There was an issue with the NBN Gateway and web services returning map yesterday. Paul has looked into it and it should be working OK now

Best wishes

Graham

Hi
Are you in trouble again with the maps?
A gridmap like http://data.nbn.org.uk/gridMap/gridMap. … 0000008319 just returns a blank page at the moment.
Jim.

I'm not sure if this will be of any interest but I created this for own my personal use and thought it may be useful for others:

http://www.cucaera.co.uk/nbn-web-services-status/

Basically it calls the NBN web services and checks to see if what they are returning is as expected. Helps me to confirm if it's my code or the NBN that has problems...

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

I like it, Charlie.
The NBN could host a page like this themselves.
If I viewed the page and an error was detected perhaps it could trigger an alarm somewhere and tell me that staff have been alerted. Then I wouldn't feel the need to post boring 'is it broken?' notices in the hope of it being spotted and the service restored.
Maybe the NBN do scheduled self-tests already - I don't know.
Jim.

Of course, I'm hoping it will become redundant when the v5 of the gateway is fully functional.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hello Jim

You have been spotted and the maps are back up. The issue is with the older mapping technology which is no longer used in the new site. All ticks (apart from the most intensive species density web service) on Charlie's site which is a great idea

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Graham,
The machinery seems to be struggling again.
Charlie scores you with 13 exclamation marks and a gridmap request within the old website draws a blank.
Jim.

Excellent idea Charlie - In the list of favourites immediately

I'm still noticing the occasional blank tile coming back from WMS species maps, although Charlie's tests show all ticks at the moment.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Is there something about this time of the evening that causes the gateway to grind to a halt? 11 exclamation marks and no gridmap from the website again.

Jim.

Hi

I'm still seeing pretty frequent problems with the services I'm using. As requested here are a couple of requests that sometimes work and don't at other times. I've also included the stack trace reported in the error page.

Interestingly for a failed request if the request is resent a few seconds later it will tend to succeed.

If you could resolve it would be much appreciated.

Tony

Requests
------------

http://gis.nbn.org.uk/arcgis/atlas/Sing … bi100kgrid

http://gis.nbn.org.uk/arcgis/atlas/Sing … bi100kgrid

Here's a stack trace if its of any use
---------------------------------------------

nbn.webmapping.proxy.IProxyHandlerException: java.sql.SQLException: The transaction log for database 'GATEWAY_LOGS' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.mapping.atlasrest.map.SingleSpeciesAtlasMapHandler.getHostedStyledLayerDescriptor(SingleSpeciesAtlasMapHandler.java:37)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.mapping.atlasrest.map.AtlasMapHandler.getParametersToAdd(AtlasMapHandler.java:30)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ParameterRewritingHandler.getParametersToKeep(ParameterRewritingHandler.java:41)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ParameterRewritingHandler.rewriteUrl(ParameterRewritingHandler.java:25)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ProxyHandlerController.handleRequest(ProxyHandlerController.java:120)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ProxyServer.processRequest(ProxyServer.java:48)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ProxyServer.doGet(ProxyServer.java:63)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

root cause

java.sql.SQLException: The transaction log for database 'GATEWAY_LOGS' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:368)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2816)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2254)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.getMoreResults(TdsCore.java:631)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.processResults(JtdsStatement.java:584)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeSQL(JtdsStatement.java:546)
    net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(JtdsPreparedStatement.java:508)
    org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:105)
    org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:105)
    nbn.common.logging.GatewayLogger.logRequestMetadata(GatewayLogger.java:36)
    nbn.common.logging.GatewayLogger.log(GatewayLogger.java:48)
    nbn.common.mapping.arcgis.MappingRequestDAO.logRequest(MappingRequestDAO.java:435)
    nbn.common.mapping.arcgis.MappingRequestDAO.createSingleSpeciesRequest(MappingRequestDAO.java:210)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.mapping.SpeciesDataRequestFactory.buildSingleSpeciesRequest(SpeciesDataRequestFactory.java:21)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.mapping.atlasrest.map.SingleSpeciesAtlasMapHandler.buildRequest(SingleSpeciesAtlasMapHandler.java:65)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.mapping.atlasrest.map.SingleSpeciesAtlasMapHandler.getHostedStyledLayerDescriptor(SingleSpeciesAtlasMapHandler.java:34)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.mapping.atlasrest.map.AtlasMapHandler.getParametersToAdd(AtlasMapHandler.java:30)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ParameterRewritingHandler.getParametersToKeep(ParameterRewritingHandler.java:41)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ParameterRewritingHandler.rewriteUrl(ParameterRewritingHandler.java:25)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ProxyHandlerController.handleRequest(ProxyHandlerController.java:120)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ProxyServer.processRequest(ProxyServer.java:48)
    nbn.webmapping.proxy.ProxyServer.doGet(ProxyServer.java:63)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)