Topic: Validation query

I am trying to use record cleaner to check excel spreadsheets when they arrive at the LRC before they are entered into R6.
In the validation process a lot of records may be rejected because they are not valid names. However record cleaner does not seem to be able to match names as well as R6. So it rejects a name with sp. in which R6 can match. I know that these sp issues and spelling mistakes can be much easier sorted when importing through R6. I would therefore like the ability to continue and verify grid ref for instance. I don't really want to sort out all these taxonomic issues in record cleaner as it has to be repeated when importing into R6.
Also record cleaner may reject some records because they are just outside the VC. I may want to coninue wih verification as the grid ref is still correct. But again there is no option to do so.
Alternatively I could import into R6 and then verify but it seems to negate the purpose of record cleaner.

Would be glad of some advice as I want to get past this frustration so that I can apply these verification rules. I did write previously but it seemed to be ignored.

Thanks in anticipation

2 (edited by mbeard 07-12-2012 11:59:58)

Re: Validation query

All good points that I agree with.

It could be handy to import the record as originally submitted, and then have an audit trail of your corrections because they may end up being wrong!

Mike Beard
Natural Course Project Officer
Greater Manchester Local Records Centre

Re: Validation query

Hello

The NBN Record Cleaner uses the same species dictionary (UK Species Inventory maintained by NHM) as Recorder but is not as sophisticated as the Recorder import wizard. When matching to the species dictionary it requires an exact match on the taxon name so additional information such as sp. will require manual matching.

These manual matches can be saved for future use in the templates but this is only useful when importing repeat files using the same fieldnames. A workaround to this limitation that has been used is to add an extra "Dummy" field to the excel spreadsheet with a dummy name that will automatically pass and so circumvent the name check. But if this approach is used make sure that this dummy name is not imported into Recorder by mistake.

The validation stage just checks that the grid reference is an actual grid reference. If so these records can be passed onto the verification stage where you can apply the rules checking that the grid reference is in the correct vice-county.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer