Re: Install Recorder 6 6.10.4 on Windows Server 2003 R2 x64

I'm trying to install standalone version of Recorder 6 and getting error message "MDAC 2.7 cannot be installed on this machine. MDAC 2.7 requires any one of the following configurations......". There is already latest version of MDAC installed on the server but the installation couldn't detect it?

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Luck

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Hi Luck,

I think I had a similar error trying to run workstation setup on Windows 2003 Server (32 bit) which has 6.10.4 network installed. I ignored the error. Workstation setup installed the client correctly.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Dave Cope,
Biodiversity Technology Officer,
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park.

i decided to install server version instead as it exited after i click ok. Anway i start installing server version and i don't get MDAC error this time but a message saying couldn't find NBNData instead so i extract NBNData_Data.zip and import data file into SQL server. Then the installation finished. And now i got error message EOleExceptioin: Login failed for user 'NBNUser'. I have looked in SQL server and found NBNUser as user under NBNData database. It should work fine but it doesn't. Have i done something wrong here?

I got active directory domain running. Do you think that causing the problem? Any way i could alter NBNUser login name to DOMAIN\NBNUser ?? I couldn't find this setting anywhere.

Many thanks

Luck

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Hi Luck,

Active Directory won't be causing any problems with this, the NBNUser account is a SQL Login and not related to Windows authentication in any way. You need to go back to the reason why you got the error 'Couldn't find NBNData' - when you did the server install did you run the step titled "Create the Recorder 6 database and attach it to your instance of SQL Server/MSDE" and was it successful? I would retry this step before going any further.

If you are forced to manually attach the database file to the server then you will need to run the following SQL to relink the NBNUser database user with the NBNUser login on the server:

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'nbnuser', 'nbnuser'

Obviously this approach should really only be a last resort though!

Regards

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

reinstalled it again and it's now working :)

many thanks

Luck

IT Officer
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Windows Server 2003 includes MDAC pre-installed at version 2.8, and it is not possible to install MDAC 2.7 onto it. Therefore the install kit gives you the warning MDAC 2.7 cannot be installed on this machine.....

If you are installing the server and workstation, have you tried just cancelling the part of the install kit that fails then running Recorder? This part of the install kit is only designed to install various standard libraries, which are mostly installed by default on a modern OS anyway, so Recorder may run fine. Likewise when running the standalone install, you could try cancelling the “Installing Recorder System Components” part and then reboot the machine. This should allows Recorder to work fine, though we haven't fully tested this.

In theory the standalone or workstation install kit would not normally be installed on a server edition of Windows.

Thanks,

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]