Topic: Error: Response not of type text/xml

Hi,

We are getting 'Error: Response not of type text/xml' from our various web service implementations at the moment.

I've had a look at a few other implementations out on the web and they seem to be having the same problem.

Are we doing something wrong or is there a problem?

Thanks

Richard

Re: Error: Response not of type text/xml

Hello Richard

There seems to be a problem at the moment which the NBN Gateway developers are looking into. Web services should be back up and running as soon as possible

Best wishes

Graham

I see that some web-services have started working again (Monday 13:45) but I'm still having problems with a circular buffer search using version 3.4. It stopped working last Thursday I think, along with everything else. Other things have started working again, but not yet that. (I haven't touched my code so assume the problem is at the NBN end).

Keith

Hi,

I was about to post my own thread but i assume that my problem is related to the Services issue. We are currently getting a "Connection refused: connect" error with our One Site Data requests.

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

I'm giving a talk/demo about NBN web-services to seven LRCs at noon today. Currently (8am) get grid map is broken and so is circular buffer searches. It may be a short and unimpressive demo...

Keith

We are also at the end of our five working day window for completing two data requests for consultants, we can of course report to them on our data alone but having now tied in our services to provide NBN Gateway data as standard this would be far from ideal.

Is there any news on when the services might be back online? I see on the homepage there is now a red highlighted

"Login has been temporarily disabled whilst we perform maintenance on our database servers"

can we assume this is to do with the current problems? A time frame for the work would be useful (hours, days, weeks?) so we know where we stand in regards to current outstanding requests and any we may receive in the near future.

Thanks,

Ben

Keith Balmer wrote:

I'm giving a talk/demo about NBN web-services to seven LRCs at noon today. Currently (8am) get grid map is broken and so is circular buffer searches. It may be a short and unimpressive demo...

It was! NBN's blushes were saved only by the fact that NE couldn't deliver a working internet connection to the conference room. NE staff elsewhere in the building were reporting being unable to use NBN web-services.

Fortunately I had taken screen shots last Wednesday before things broke.

Will web-services be more reliable after the December upgrade...?

Keith

Brief update. This morning i noticed the login was back available i hoped this indicated the problems were sorted! However, we are still getting the same connection refused error on our requests.

The current NBN Gateway database and infrastructure is aging and has a number of deep seated issues. Unfortunately one of the flaws in the Gateway system caused a major failure which caused a number of issues which were only finally corrected at the end of last week. If you are still encountering issues, please email paulbe@ceh.ac.uk and we’ll try to help.

The NBN Gateway was never designed to cope with around 80 million records and is over seven years old. As you are aware a significant revision of the Gateway is currently under development and a significant amount of staff time and resources are dedicated to this project. The NBN Gateway development team are as disappointed as you are about the Gateway issues and are working hard to ensure that the new version of the NBN Gateway is far more stable and robust.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your post. The requests are now going through fine and we were able to re-run the reports to include Gateway info so no-one lost out.

The Gateway is a project that has come along in leaps and bounds so we understand their are going to be a bump or two along the way!

We look forward to the implementation of the new version.