Topic: WMS WGS-84 projection appears incorrect

The images below are both screen shots of MapInfo Professional using the NBN Gateway WMS to display a tetrad distribution map for a single species.

The first image shows the WMS configured to project with EPSG:27700 (BNG):

[img=bng]http://www.gilbert21.org.uk/temp/wms-epsg27700.jpg[/img]

The second image shows the WMS configured to project with EPSG:4326 (WGS-84):

[img=wgs84]http://www.gilbert21.org.uk/temp/wms-epsg4326.jpg[/img]

(I get the same result as above if I use the third available projection - CRS:84)

The scale of the errors reminds me of a time when I was trying to convert from BNG to WGS-84 but was actually converting to OSGB36 by mistake. Could that be the problem?

This is important for me to resolve because I want to use the WMS to project distribution maps over BING and Google maps, so I have to be able to project acurately in WGS-84. I'm getting exactly the same scale of errors when I'm projecting over a BING map (haven't tried Google yet).

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Biodiversity Project Officer
Field Studies Council

Re: WMS WGS-84 projection appears incorrect

I did some more work on this and I believe that I have confirmed my suspicion that the WMS is converting coordinates to the OSG36 lat/lon coordinate system instead of WGS84 lat/lon, but projecting these as WGS84.

This is what I did:

1. I used MapInfo to save a copy of my tetrad squares vector layer (white squares) with WGS84 lat/lon coordinate system.

2.  I also used MapInfo to save another copy of my tetrad squares vector layer with OSGB36 lat/lon coordinate system.

3. I exported both these layers to MapInfo MIF files. I then 'mashed up' the files by taking the coordinates from the OSGB36 MIF file and putting these with the headers describing the coordinate system/projection from the WGS84 MIF file.

4. I imported this file into MapInfo. As expected the tetrad squares were displaced from their correct positions.

5. I opened the NBN WMS again and displayed the distribution tetrads again (green) using the EPSG:4326 projection. Hey presto - they exactly matched the incorrectly positioned vector tetrads.

[img=mashup]http://www.gilbert21.org.uk/temp/wms-mashup.jpg[/img]

Can someone take a look at the Web Mapping Service and correct this? It must be a simple configuration problem.

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Field Studies Council

3 (edited by Graham French 24-09-2012 11:52:11)

Hello Richard

I will ask the NBN Gateway team to have a look into this further to see if there is an issue with converting gridreferences to the WGS84 coordinate system

Best wishes

Graham

Hello Rich

The WMS uses the default transformation done by ESRI ArcGIS Server and it looks like this is causing the reprojection issue with WGS84.

A new NBN Gateway release is planned in December. In this release there will be a change in the underlying technology that powers the WMS so that this projection issue should be resolved with this new release

Best wishes

Graham

Wow - that's surprising.

It's not a show-stopper for me. For large scale 10 km distribution maps it's not noticeable at all. But when you zoom into a tetrad, or 1 km distibution maps it is noticeable if you overlay on a backdrop with a grid - for example Bing Maps OS backdrop. 

And of course six-figure grid references - 100 m squares - are shown in completely the wrong place - can be a couple of hundred metres out here in Merseyside.

Here's to the new release then!

Many thanks,

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Field Studies Council