1 (edited by ser 11-09-2012 11:13:50)

Topic: Editing read-only data

OK, I know this shouldn't be done, to retain data integrity, but there are occasions when it is essential.

The ONLY time I can see that editing read-only (i.e. data owned by another recorder) involves data imported from MapMate - NEVER when the data is owned by another copy of Recorder 6

The four scenarios I find I need to edit the data imported from MapMate are:

1) where the site name differs very slightly from the site it is mapped to, e.g. Blithfield Res. & Blithfield Reservoir (or even worse Blithfield Reservior) - the import routine puts the incoming site name in the Location Name field, then on reporting I get duplication of the site name - I need to be able to delete the duplicate site name

2) where the Survey-Event-Sample hierarchy need changing (e.g. samples combined into a single Event) - this is not possible with imported MapMate data

3) where records have been imported for a vague site (e.g. Cannock Chase), but should have been attached to a more specific site (which may not have existed in Recorder at the time of the original import).

4) where records have been imported and attached to the wrong person, this is easy to do because of the lack of identifying info in a MapMate personal record, I need to attach the records to the correct person.

All the above changes would not affect the integrity of the original MapMate record but would improve the quality of the records in our Recorder database, but the read-only attribute stop all of these. No.2 is particularly annoying because the import of MapMate data nearly always creates one sample per event, producing loads of unnecessary duplicate events which cannot be combined.

I realise this could cause problems where data integrity could be compromised, but if this ability was only available to system managers, it would be their responsibility to ensure data is not corrupted!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record