Re: Next Dictionary Update for Recorder 6 is now available

The next Dictionary Update for Recorder 6 is now available to download from the Recorder Software website - see new page at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/recorderWebsit … grades.htm.

This update brings Recorder 6's dictionary in line with the Natural History Museum's copy dated 04/06/07 - for details please click on the link above.

Unforunately, this update does not include any changes to the biotope dictionary. However, these will be following shortly (some details around this part of the update still need work).

I hope the instructions on the website are clear, but if you have any queries please post them here or email Recorder@jncc.gov.uk.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah

I have upgraded my dictionary for R6 and the upgrade was successful. I was, therefore, extremely disappointed to find the that the White/Pied Wagtail issue has not been implemented in the way that we were told. It seems that the species Motacilla alba is now called 'Pied Wagtail' that is no use whatever.

We were told that the British Museum had agreed that the two subspecies could be implemented in R6, so I was expecting to see entries for:

White Wagtail, Motacilla alba alba
Pied Wagtail, Motacilla alba yarrellii

My records for these species are in some confusion because the subspecies were not implemented before. I have waited months for this upgrade and was hoping to be able to sort out my records for these subspecies.

When will the White/Pied Wagtail taxa be implemented?

On the other hand, I am very grateful to have the implementation of UA names in Wales that worked in R2002.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian

The taxonomy in the new update should reflect what NHM have (well had on the 04/06/07).

I'll query with them and get back to you.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah,

Probably a dumb question .... but what version of Recorder do we require to run these Dictionary Upgrades?  We are currently on 6.9.3 and because we are hosted by our County Council we have to jump through all sorts of hoops to install any upgrades so we are reluctant to move on to 6.10 (or later) until we really have to.

Also, will the forthcoming changes to the biotope dictionary include the IHS habitat codes?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Hi Andy

In theory you could do this - I'm guessing if you have upgraded to 6.9.3 then you have also run the dictionary upgrade that came with this (up to script file 00000003.sql)?

You can check this by opening the SETTING table in your NBNData database (either with SQL Server tools or with the linked Access database) and checking the 'DICT SEQ' value - this would be 00000003 if you have.

Having said that...

i) You still need a Windows Admin login (with sys admin SQL Server priviledges) or a SQL Server login to run the updates to the dictionary - so you are probably not going to avoid jumping through the hoops this way anyway?

ii) If you did want to proceed down this route then I would strongly suggest running the additional script files provided on the dictionary upgrades page with a copy of your database (using the Dictionary Upgrade kit provided with the 6.9.3 upgrade) first (as I haven't actually given this a try myself) and not on a live system. Again, you might not have a test system you can use and getting a copy of the database might also be tricky with your IT dept?

All in all I would reccomend upgrading to the most recent version of the software (v6.10) anyway as well as updating the dictionary - mainly because this prevents you from encountering bugs in the system that have now been fixed.

Hope the above makes sense.

As far I know there aren't any plans to include the IHS codes within the next update - but we could look into possibly incorporating this in the future.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC