Topic: Images to appear with PopUp

Hi all

To display results on the PlantTracker website we're using the Distribution Map 1 form and have chosen to show the feature type indicia:detail occurrences.

This feature type doesn't include an image option in the list of fields so we can't display images with records yet.  Does anyone know of a way around this so that we can allow website visitors to see the images associated with each record?

To see an example of the current functionality visit:

http://planttracker.naturelocator.org/map/balsam

We'd probably like to have a link or thumbnail which would then link through to the full size image

Thanks

Dave

Re: Images to appear with PopUp

Hi Dave

To be able to map occurrences and be able to pop up images when you click on an occurrence can be done in one of two ways that I can think of. Either you use the Distribution Map 1 form, which shows a feature type output by GeoServer, or you use the Report Map form which displays content from an Indicia Report.

Either way, you depend upon the output of a query on the database which would have to contain both spatial information and the image information. As far as I am aware this doesn't exist at the moment. Moreover, it is not within the privileges of any normal user to modify reports or feature types.

There is probably a third alternative, to write some PHP that creates what you want, but let's not think about that.

I am hesitating to propose a particular solution because I am wondering about dealing with multiple images, how best to add in the html to create the links and whether this has any implications for work John has done on caching tables for improved performance. Perhaps a report specific to your needs would be better than, say, changing the indicia:detail_occurrences feature type that would have an impact on all its users.

Jim Bacon

Dave, what is your timescale for this requirement? I have a task on my list to add thumbnails to verification reports which I suspect might involve adding image links to a new "thumbnails" field in cache_occurrences. This could then easily be accessed via  indicia:cache_occurrences in your mapping.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John,

Sounds promising and in terms of timescales - whenever you can manage it will be fine.  There's no urgent rush but I realise some people will find it useful and interesting.

I notice that when the POPUP is activated it disables the zoom function as activated by double clicking the map.  Is there a way I can get around this or is it an unavoidable result of using the popup?

Thanks
D